Chapter 6

“We’re working very hard, Ms. Murphy. You have to be patient. Blake’s got a lawyer that knows his ways around the books,” Ryan’s voice said through the telephone.

 I was getting desperate. Blake was determined to get me behind bars. But why? I hadn’t done a single thing to him, other than hide the fact that he had a daughter. But he deserved that. He deserved that, didn’t he?

 “I understand,” I said, defeated. I was tired of dealing with it. I was tired of reporters standing outside of my house, ready to pounce like a predator to its prey whenever Anthony or I left. They were animals and I was tired. I didn’t know how much more I could take.

 “Don’t worry, Isbell. We can make it through this. The trial is in two weeks and we’ll go from there. There’s not much more Blake could do to destroy your life than he already has. And even then, it’s not like it’s sticking,” he reassured. I nodded even though I knew he couldn’t see me. I glanced over at Anthony who stood arms crossed, leaning against the doorframe to the bedroom. His eyes grazed the room and I could tell he wasn’t very pleased. From the moment we came back from the café yesterday, he was on edge about every aspect of this situation. He even threatened to waltz into Blake’s parents’ house, which he was staying at for the time being, and beat the daylights out of him. However, I kept him tamed. I didn’t need another payment on my hands, although Anthony offered to help pay for mine.

 “As long as your sure we have a chance,” I sighed. I ran my hand through my frazzled hair and sat down on the edge of the bed. I heard Anthony move from the doorframe and make his way over to the bed. He sat down next to me and immediately started to scratch my back, lightly, but comforting. I glanced over to smile at him. He could see the stress in my smile and he leaned in to kiss me lightly.

 “I’m sure, Isbell,” Ryan stated. I could hear the confidence practically seep through his words. That gave me a little more hope. I could almost see a sliver of light at the end.

 “Well, thank you, Ryan. For everything,” I said quietly. Even though I knew that Ryan Dawson was trying his hardest to put up a good case for the judge, a small part of me still thought we weren’t going to make it. I kept telling myself we’d win, but that same small part of me would whisper in my ear, telling me I wouldn’t see my daughter when she came home from school. I wouldn’t see her when she woke up in the morning. I wouldn’t see her grow up.

 “Goodbye, Isbell. Chat soon,” Ryan said before the line clicked dead. I pulled the phone from my ear and held it in my hand, letting it fall to my lap. I let out a sigh and leaned into Anthony’s chest.

 “What are we going to do if we lose?” I asked, fear settling throughout my body. Anthony stopped scratching my back and pulled me close to him. I couldn’t bear the thought of losing either one of the people that I loved. It was unbearable. He stiffened beside me, and put one finger under my jaw. He forced me to look at him, his brown eyes boring into mine.

 “We are not going to lose,” he said through slit teeth. I let my face fall from his finger and I put my hand up over my mouth to keep the sobs from overpowering me.

 “What if we do?” I asked. Tears filled my eyes and Anthony lifted his thumb to wipe the tears that fell from the brim off my cheeks. He leaned in, planting a kiss on my soft, wet cheek before resting his forehead against mine.

 “Isbell, you have to stop thinking about the negatives. Ryan has a really good case stacked up and if he says we’ll win, we’ll win. No ifs ands or buts about it. Okay?” he asked softly. I couldn’t disagree with his face. His words instantly soothed me and I nodded, sniffling and wiping the tears from my eyes. Anthony sat up and gave me a sincere smile before patting my back and standing up.