| ELEVEN: Merry Christmas (Kiss My Ass)

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

ELEVEN MERRY CHRISTMAS (KISS MY ASS)

     T'WAS THE NIGHT BEFORE YULE, and all through the dorms, chaos was rising, because, "Shit, my pores, you can see them from fucking Jupiter—"

     Livvy spends his Christmas Eve in the common room. Wizard chess is being played by Draco and Blaise, and Livvy's watching, chiming in with cheers and insults every so often. Most insults were towards Draco; more cheers were for Blaise. Livvy was thoroughly enjoying the annoyance on his best friend's (crush's) face.

     "Um, hello," says the small voice of Astoria, who's standing next to one chair's arm with her hands behind her back. She smiles awkwardly. "Have you seen Daphne? I've been looking for ages..."

     Blaise and Draco don't look up from their chessboard. Livvy tells Astoria, "I think she went to the library. Either that, or Great Hall." She nods. She smiles. He smiles. "She's trying to escape Pansy and Millicent and their ball stressing."

     Astoria laughs. "Yeah, that sounds like her," she says. "It's a shame, really. Mother bought both me and Daphne new dress robes for the occasion. I'm too young and I don't have a date, so Daphne's got an outfit change if she wants one."

     "You can go with me, if you want," Livvy suggests. A metre or so away from him, he notices Draco freezing, and him exchanging looks with Blaise. "I mean, as friends. I don't have a date, I don't want to get stared at for going with a boy, and if you wanted to go, I'm happy to take you."

     "Are you serious?" she asks.

     "Uh, yes?" he frowns.

     Astoria's face lights up with a massive smile. She exclaims, "That's fantastic, Livvy! I can't wait!" He smiles back at her, and she says, "Oh, this is great! I need to find Daphne, though, before I forget... See you tomorrow!"

     As soon as she's walked away, Draco looks at Livvy. "Nice thing for you to do, Liv," says Draco. "Don't want coal for Christmas, or something?"

     Blaise snorts. "He needs all the goodness he can get, considering how shitty he's been treating his sister."

     Livvy's stomach sinks. Plummets. Falls. His stomach is a massive rock that's been lobbed into a lake and now he's drowning. (Although, rocks don't breathe. Fuck.) He regains himself, he ignores the nastiness rising at the thought of Briar, and he says, "Shut up."

     Great comeback, Liv. So proud.

     "You've made the Gryffindor-Slytherin rivalry even worse," Draco adds. "Especially with the older years. Stoker in seventh year's got a black eye from one of the weasels."

     "Oh, yeah, I heard," Livvy nods. He feels his stomach twisting and turning with annoyance and dread and overall sadness that he couldn't even say happy Christmas to his sister. Nor could he be near her, without feeling his blood boiling. "Montague said Stoker shouted something at, um, Briar —" his voice slows down and he physically feels pained at the amount of anger already in his system, "— and she used the whole Seer thing to grab onto the twins, but then Stoker said something about whichever twin she was holding back, which led to her sucker-punching him instead."

     Draco scoffs.

     Livvy smirks at him. "So, you know, tone down the insults, because I'm not going to stop her if she overhears some of the stuff you say," he says. "I'm not on good terms with her, but I don't blame her. I'd punch a bitch for you."