| TWELVE: Another Series of Unfortunate Events

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

TWELVE ANOTHER SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS

     "YOU KNOW, DEAR Sergeant, it would really help if you'd let me sneak you into Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, because you need a proper wash and the lake isn't going to cut it for the rest of the year."

     Briar Lupin sits on one of the benches in the school grounds, a couple inches away from one of the awkward hallways that lead outside, then back inside. They weren't pretty. They were a nightmare when rainy or windy or — basically, Briar thinks the founders were just as stupid adding them as they were not noticing the Chamber of fucking Secrets being added into construction.

     Honestly. She finds the outside/inside hallways plain shit. Hallways aren't meant to mess your hair up between lessons, nor are they meant to cause chapped lips. Hallways were meant for quick escapes from Filch in the middle of the night, or sneaking off with certain someones during the evenings to make out in a secluded part of the school. But, anyway.

     With one hand, she brushes her German shepherd's fur with the cute little doggie brush she spent too much money on (and quickly regretted when George stuck one of the Weasleys' Wheezes stickers onto it); with the other, she tries to keep Sergeant calm. Which isn't working well. He's probably pissed. She doesn't know. He won't respond. For, you know, an obvious reason.

     "Okay, don't look at me like that," Briar mutters. "You're a dog. If you were an Animagus, my Spidey senses would've picked that up by now. Like, I always felt weird around that bloody Scabbers, but I just thought I didn't like rats. Fair enough, right? It wasn't even a nice looing rat. Then again, Pettigrew looks like a miserable rat in human form, so it's not like his rat form would look like, I dunno, Leonardo DiCaprio as a rat."

     Sergeant doesn't respond. Again, because he's a dog. Briar continues to brush his hair, and she tries her best to stop him from running away from the brush and into a puddle. Sergeant dislikes the ghosts. Briar figures it's because, most likely, if Serge had an owner before her, they were a muggle. So he's less used to witchcraft. Just like she's still not used to the goddamned ending of Heathers.

     But, because he hates the ghosts, he hates the only bathroom she can use to properly bathe him, unless Briar's Spidey senses pick up when Myrtle's going to be absent. Which is barely ever. At least, not nowadays. Her Seer abilities seem to be going quiet. She feels like it's the calm before the storm. She sincerely hopes it isn't.

     She finishes brushing him, and she takes the dog bowl out from the paper bag next to the bench. "Here you go, son," says Briar, sliding the filled bowl towards Sergeant. He eats, and Briar opens her letter from her godfather.

     Briar,

     Harry mentioned that, on the Marauders Map, he saw Barty Crouch in Snivellus' office? I haven't mentioned that to Laurel or Remus, since both are stressed enough as it is with the whole pregnancy going on (both are well, by the way, they sent me a letter the other week). Do you know about this, though, with Crouch? I thought that Crouch was too poorly to fit his big head through the school entrances, let alone go through someone's office.

     I'll try and find something out in the meantime, but I'm not promising, considering my current living quarters, if you could even call it that. But, I don't think that it's wise to get your parents involved, especially Laurel. I won't come into contact with them, and I won't mention it in letters, so I think that it's best that we don't mention anything to them unless it's necessary.