| SEVENTEEN: Stranger Things Have Happened

[also quick note poppy's in the same year as briar, so two more than liv, thank you continue your reading xoxo]

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

SEVENTEEN STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED

     LIVVY'S GOT A WEIRD life. Strange things follow his life like glitter. You think it's gone, but it's never gone. There's always weirdness lurking somewhere, whether it be around a corner or in your shadow.

     Like, today. He's just gained a friend. And not just anyone — oh, no — he manages to befriend one of the scariest wizards currently wearing a Hogwarts uniform. And he didn't spark the friendship, either! The straight male student's worst nightmare, Poppy Fleetwood Mackenzie Sage, was his friend. She asked to be his friend.

     He's not sure whether to expect more weirdness or no more for the rest of the day. Or the week, in fact. He's a little baffled he's walking towards the carriages with Poppy Sage. He's also a little baffled that he's got Poppy Sage not only as a friend (and ally) but also, invested completely with his troubles in regards to a certain best friend (crush crush crush.)

     Livvy thinks and hopes that the end of the weirdness occurred when he sat in one of the carriages that moved towards the school, when he saw the strange skeletal horse thing and Poppy told him, "You get used to them, son."

     The feast was peculiar, but not full-out weird. The new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor felt dodgy, but not weird. Nothing was so out-of-the-blue that Livvy felt distressed with the weirdness of the situation.

     And he thinks this will be the tone for the rest of the day. If he's lucky, perhaps the rest of the week. And, if he's been staying away from broken mirrors and umbrellas opened indoors, maybe this could last a whole fortnight.

     Livvy unpacks a couple of books and sets them on his bedside table. Sandy the Cat sits on the foot of his bed. The room's quiet, for the exception of Blaise and Theodore discussing something related to school. Livvy freezes when Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle appear. He grabs the nearest book and tries to hide his face behind it, but he already knows. The weirdness is back. Probably.

     It was nice while it lasted, he guesses.

     "Livvy, can I speak to you?"

     "You already are, mate," says Livvy. Blaise snorts. Draco frowns. "Oh, right, okay. Yeah, shoot. What's up?"

     "Can we speak outside?" says Draco.

     "All right," Livvy nods. He pats Sandy the Cat on the head, and tries not to take her agitated look (can cats raise their eyebrow? He's pretty sure he saw Sandy raise an eyebrow) to heart. He follows Draco into the hallway. "So."

     "No, not here," says Draco. He leads Livvy into the boys' toilets. Livvy gives him an odd look. "It's either here, or the prefects' bathroom, but that'll be busy tonight. And we can get people out of here."

     "Are you starting an assassin's ring, or something?" asks Livvy. "I mean, that's cool, but I'd like to stay out of it, please?"

     Draco frowns at Livvy. Livvy frowns at Draco.

     "Where were you on the train?"

     "I was with my new best friend," says Livvy. "You know Poppy Sage? We're tight." Draco still frowns at him. Livvy sighs. "And I might've been avoiding you because of what happened. But, I did make a friend, so I think it's fine."