EPILOGUE

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

EPILOGUE

     TWO MONTHS PASS.

     IT'S TAKEN HIM a while, but he's done it. He's done it! Livius Gordon-Isley is no longer a living entity, it's just a name that's featured on homework, in newspapers, in a birth certificate from the early eighties.

     Livius Gordon-Isley, the son born from two Death Eaters, is no more. Livvy Gordon-Isley, the son of two geniuses, is no more. Oliver Marvell, the nephew of a man called Michaelmas, was barely existent, really, let's be honest. But, Livvy Marvell, the boy born from two Death Eaters, the son of two geniuses, and the nephew of an excellent escapist? He's taken the lifeforms of the other three to make himself — the version he's always wanted to be.

     Livvy wears his new name like a new item of clothing; he keeps on mentioning it, and he wears it with the upmost pride. He's wanted to get rid of Livius and Gordon-Isley for as long as he could remember, but he always felt a little guilty just deciding to go Lupin (he's not being associated with the Crouches, damn.) But, thanks to that one year of his life, he's gotten the perfect surname. And, because he's been introducing himself as Livvy Marvell ever since he arrived at JFK Airport, he's still got the ties he's made over that year.

     The rather attractive saxophone player? Livvy still knows him. The loyalty cards for the record stores, the vintage stores, even the different theatres and music venues? They all still work. And, his most favourite, the orphanage in Brooklyn knows his name. His new name. The name he wishes he's always had.

     Because, as Livvy Marvell, he's got no ties. He gets to make his own legacy, his own stories, without thinking about a grandparent that's somehow affiliated with Grindelwald, or a parent that had been a Death Eater. He lacks this now. Gordon-Isley held a series of stories, it was stamped as a Death Eater name. Livvy Marvell's a new coat to wear, one that's shaken off the wearer's history to pave the way for a new life, a better life.

     Marvell's got a personality, just like Gordon-Isley does. But, there's a difference, With Marvell, Livvy sees red and bold and the natural glow of a confident being. With Marvell, he sees covers of Vogue, he sees the windows of Fifth Avenue stores introducing and advertising their Marvell Collection.

     Gordon-Isley's different. Gordon-Isley has grey stones making windowless towers, ivy snaking around with no flowers attached. Gordon-Isley shows the brutality of the first war, the heartbreak of friends hating each other just because of which side they identify with. Gordon-Isley has the lack of hope, the idea of you say that like he isn't going to win, when in reality, he didn't. Voldemort lost. And the surname lost its best owner.

     Its loss.

     But, Livvy Marvell's been making himself ties. The musicians, the loyalty cards, the tickets for shows... And, the most important out of them all, the orphanage knows him. Livvy only found the orphanage because (a) it was holding a bake sale and he was hungry and (b) it was also pouring it down, and (c) Livvy got a little too excited when he realised the orphanage was only visible to magic folk.

     It's been two months since the Battle of Hogwarts. Aster's been living back in the UK, looking after Teddy. Eventually, Livvy's taking custody of his little brother, but he just needs some time, and Aster respects that, and Aster seems happy to spend a couple months looking after one of his nephews. Aster knew Briar as a tiny baby, and he hadn't properly met Livvy until a couple years ago, so he seems happy with this. Livvy's happy that Aster's happy and that Teddy's happy (although Teddy's still rather confused about the whole ordeal.)