Ch 6 / Goodbyes and Getting Advice

We didn’t talk much between the ‘monster’ night and him, Jason, Annabeth and Piper leaving. The time went so fast and looking back, I wish I’d talked to him more.

                Everyone went out to the lake to see them off this morning. I stood back and watched from a little way off. Piper came over to say goodbye, so did Annabeth, who’s buzzing about seeing her boyfriend again. At least she has a boyfriend, even if she hasn’t seen him for months. All I have is Leo, who I love to bits but who’s been avoiding me on purpose. Love is harsh.

                “Hey stranger, weren’t you going to say goodbye?”

                Oh my gods! He came over especially to see me and to say goodbye!

                “Of course I was!” And then in a rush it all came out, “But haven’t you been avoiding me?”

                He blinked in surprise.

“Me, avoiding you? Are you sure it isn’t the other way around, haven’t you been avoiding me?”

                “No!”

                “You so have been avoiding me!”

                “Have not!”

                “Have!”

                “Go and get on your ship and sail away! I hope you die on this stupid quest! I don’t ever want to see you again!”

                I turned around to storm off but he grabbed my hand and pulled me into a hug.

                “I’m going to miss you too.” He murmured into my ear before pulling away and smiling in his impish Leo kind of way. “See ya wildcat! You hold the fort while I’m away kicking some serious backsides!”

                I laughed and called back, “Good luck, come back to me ok!”

                I hate you, I love you, but most of all, I love you.

                So, if you haven’t already worked it out, I’m feeling pretty messed up. What would you do if you were me? The guy you love who maybe loves you/maybe doesn’t has disappeared off leaving me alone and lost in an ocean of mixed emotions? I went to talk to the Aphrodite girls.

                I wondered over and found Lacy, one of the less giggly Aphro. girls tidying up the cabin.

                “Uh, hi.” I’m so great at starting conversations.

                She turned around.

                “Hi! You’re Summer right, Demeter?”

                “Yeah…”

                “Come on in! Sit down on my bunk, what’s up?”

                “Well, um… Say if this guy, who you really liked, went away for a while, and you really like him but you don’t know if he likes you or not, and one minute he’s avoiding you and then you’re arguing and then he’s hugging you, and you feel so messed up and, um…”

                She laughed.

                “Oh Summer! Have you never been in love before, like properly in love? Of course you feel messed up! Just go with the flow, if you like him, then try and let him now. When’s he back from this trip?”

                “Um… don’t know…”

                “Then you’ve got plenty of time, what do you want him to do? Do you want him to tell you he loves you? Maybe he wants to, but he’s too shy! You need to tell him, not like straight out, walk up to him and say ‘I love you’ but gently. Tell him some story about the guy you like going away and you missing him and then he comes back and you don’t know if he likes you… It’ll all come out eventually.” She glanced up at the clock, “Crumbs! I’ve got Ancient Greek in two minutes! See you later Summer!”