Ch 12 / Revenge and Recklessness

Hot tears off anger stream down my face as I scrub the dirty plates and cups. Seriously, this is a magic demi-god camp; you’d think they could make some kind of magic machine for washing dishes, like maybe a DISHWASHER.

But that’s not the real reason I’m cross, I’m cross because of her, because he loves her not me, because she’s smart and brave and funny and everything I’m not, because he hates me because I hate her.

It all comes flooding back, the look on Chiron's face as he walked into the clearing and saw me, about to abandon an injured camper. The rush to get a medic to help her. Chiron grapping my arm and saying "We'll talk about it latter, get back to the Big House, your on dish-washing duty for now. I'll talk to Mr. D and we'll decide what to do with you." 

Worst was Leo, of course he had to be there to see it all,

*flashback* As the campers entered the clearing, all the laughter and chat died, replaced by a deadly silence. I stood frozen in my tracks, I could run, but where to? This is my only home, and they'd track me down eventually. Chiron's face was angrier than I've ever seen it before. Leo pushed his way to the front of the crowd.

He stood, frozen for a second, before leaping forward to where her bloody body was slumped on the ground. Leo dropped to the ground by her side and craddles her head in his hands. She is still breathing. Leo let out a sob that tore my heart out. Chiron was yelling for a medic, campers whispered and glanced at me before looking away in disgust. 

And then Leo looks at me for the first time and through the tears in his eyes I see a mixture of emotions: hurt, pain, loss and anger. Anger at me. Chiron is patting his shoulder, comforting him:"The medics will do what they can for her, she is strong, don't worry, she'll be fine, I'm sure."

He sits in the mud at the edge of the creek, holding the broken body of the girl he loves, silently sobbing. *flashback ends*

"Poor, poor Summer”

What was that? Did I imagine it or did someone just say something?

“I understand you know, your pain, your anger, I can use that, I can help you.”

I drop the scrubbing brush and back away into the corner of the big house kitchen, walking right into a figure that had just appeared behind me.

“Boo”

I didn’t scream, much. I jumped across the room and spun around to face the figure.

“Summer, Summer, Summer” she said, walking out of the shadows. “Poor Summer, unloved, not good enough, pushed to the side in favour of Calypso

 I could see her clearly now: tall, wearing black biking leathers with matted long dirty-blonde hair.

 “I can give you revenge.”

“You’re Nemesis, the goddess of revenge” I stammered, “Leave me alone!”

“Don’t you want my help? I can change everything, I can make her disappear, make it as if she never existed”

 “That doesn’t make any sense! I don’t want your help! I just want…”

 “What do you want Summer? Do you want her gone? Do you want her to never have existed?”

 I nodded, silently, not taking my eyes of her as she moved through the kitchen towards me.     

“I can make it happen you know, she would just disappear in the middle of the night, no-one would remember she ever existed. I can send her far far away, so far away that you won’t ever need to worry about her again. Is that what you want, to have him to yourself, for him to forget her and realise it’s you he loves you."

"What do you mean ‘make her disappear’? Where would you send her? What do you mean no-one would remember her?”

“One click of my fingers and I can send her to a new prison, she fought against the gods, she doesn’t deserve to go free! I could steal his memories of her, everyone’s memories of her! No-one would remember she ever existed.”

“You could do that?” I asked suspiciously, I wonder if she could tell how tempted I was,imagine, no Calypso! Leo all to myself at last! No-one would remember she ever existed… “Why would you help me? What’s the price?”

Nemesis laughed.

“To get you your revenge Summer, I am the goddess of revenge after all!” she said, but something was still bothering me.

“What’s the price?” I repeated, “You never help people for free.”

“You would remember.” Nemesis looked straight at me for the first time, there was something in my eyes thatscared me even more thanChiron in a bad mood., “You wold live the rest of your life remembering that you were not his first love, that he loved her over you. Knowing that you doomed her to spend the rest of her life alone and unloved. Could you live with the guilt?”

 “I…I...” I stammered.

 “What’s more important, one silly titans daughter or you and Leo, together?”

She knew she’d won, knew that I couldn’t refuse. What did one titans daughter matter? She’d fought against the gods! She didn’t deserve to be happy!

“Do it.” I whispered, “Get rid of her.”

I stayed up, like, all last night just to finish this chapter (but then forgot to publish it, oops) so ya better be grateful!

I'm dedicating thiss ahpter to povertyisnow because they were the first person to follow me :)