Chapter 1 - [The Sun and the Moon]

With my chin resting on my hand, my eyes flickered over to the clock. Five minutes. Five minutes till school was over for the day. Five minutes until I can go home and... well... do homework.

I wanted to roll my eyes but I didn't. Instead I took a deep breath and focused on what the voice of my teacher. I might as well pay attention during the last five minutes of class.

"–to try and explain everything that happens in this world. That's what we do as humans. And as humans with the wonderful ability of imagination, sometimes we tell remarkable stories," my very attractive English teacher, Mr. Hill, opened up one of his many books as he leaned against his desk. "Take, for instance, the sun and the moon."

As soon as he said that, I knew what story he was going to talk about.

The tragic love story behind the sun and the moon.

"Many cultures have a story about the sun and the moon, but a common one that many of you probably already know is the love story. The beautiful and calm moon falls in love with the bright and shining sun, and finds herself chasing after him, dreaming of a day where they can be together. Unfortunately, her efforts are mostly in vain... until of course, the eclipse."

Everyone listened carefully to Mr. Hill. His voice was deep and the way he spoke always managed to catch the attention of the audience.

"What other stories can you think of regarding the love between the sun and the moon?"

Preppy and popular Gwen, who also had an obvious crush on the married Mr. Hill, put up her hand.

"Gwen, go ahead."

"The one where the sun loves the moon so much that he dies every night for her?"

"Good, yes... a very famous quote," he smiled. "Anyone else?"

No one.

Gwen was usually the only one who answered his questions.

Mr. Hill chuckled and then sighed. "Well, in that case, I think all of you understand where I was going with this, so let me tell you the assignment."

People started to moan and groan. Of course, I already saw it coming.

"You're going to write your own short stories, using natural phenomena as your main characters."

More moans and groans.

And then the bell rang.

"Brainstorm some ideas for homework," Mr. Hill said loudly over the class who had already started to pack up, "we will go into more detail on the assignment tomorrow!"

I sighed as I packed my things into my bag. Another school day... over.

---

My final year of high school was coming to an end and I couldn't be happier. High school, as many people already knew, was tough. We had to maintain good grades, manage a social life and suffer with the dreaded teenager-hood as well. And being in the twelfth grade and in an advanced program didn't really help the situation. College and University applications, volunteer hours, prom and graduation were all things I had to worry about on top of the already stressful high school.

Though, to be honest... it wasn't that I didn't like high school. At times it was fun, and I was lucky enough to have great teachers and friends.