Chapter 16 - [Grandmother]

I didn't hit me until a few moments later. "That's impossible," I said. "The mirror can't be gone. How will I go home?"

I was ignored.

"Beeto seems to have had some sort of help in escaping," Lady Iva said. "Since he couldn't have gone off on his own."

Saphryn looked extremely concerned. "How did no one see him leave?"

"We're investigating that right now," Lady Iva said. "I worry we have a corrupt warrior within our own forces."

"Your leader is not home and you are losing control," the King said, looking both annoyed and impatient. "This conflict better not become one of my problems."

"I assure you, King Rivian, this will not be your problem," Lady Iva said, looking annoyed. "None of our business will ever be any of your concern."

The King looked angered by her words, even the guards that stood near him looked threatened. Their reaction the caused the warriors around Lady Iva to tense up as well. The King then responded with some sarcastic comment, and Lady Iva retaliated. I wasn't listening anymore, to be honest. Tension was suddenly raising, and I was getting more and more worried.

Because no one seemed to be concerned about the fact that I was stuck here.

A fear was rising through me. Was I... stuck here?

And to make matters worse. What did it mean if the mirror was far away from me?

As I swallowed back my panic I saw that Vairyn was looking at me with concern. He opened his mouth to say something, but Saphryn suddenly spoke first.

Well, shouted, first.

"Will you two just shut the hell up!" He shouted over the bickering leaders. Now the guards of the King pulled their weapons out and pointed it at Saphryn, but Vairyn held his hand up, stopping them.

The soldiers looked shocked before looking at their King, who was glaring at Saphryn.

When the soldiers didn't immediately stand down, Vairyn began to glare. "Do not raise your weapons at my brother," He said, angrily. The anger in his voice sent a shiver down my spine. This was the meanest I had ever heard him.

The soldiers, almost immediately, put away their weapons as the King looked at his son in surprise.

Saphryn gave his brother a thankful nod, before continuing. "We have more important things to deal with, here. We need to go after him!" Saphryn started. "The mirror is the only way that Nyla can get home, and she isn't supposed to be far away from it."

I was relieved that he was bringing this up.

Lady Iva frowned. "I was hoping to send you and Nile after them," she started. "But you're making it seem like she can't be left behind."

"No," Saphryn said. "At least, it would be too risky for her to be left behind. She can't stay too far away from me because of the jewels. And I don't know what role the mirror has to play in the stability of the jewel but it does do something."

"It's dange-" Vairyn started, but I cut him off. "No," I said. "I'm coming with you, Saph. You can't leave me behind." Saphryn was the only person I really knew and trusted here and I wasn't going to stay back and wait for him on my own.

"It's dangerous," Vairyn repeated.

"I'll protect her."

"Saphryn will protect me."

Both Saphryn and I said this together, and something about that made me feel a little more relief.

Lady Iva was still frowning, but she sighed, turning to her men. "Meet me back at the estate to discuss what we shall do next," she started, before looking at the King. "You have no reason to remain here, my King. Please, go home and enjoy your beauty sleep."