Epilogue - [Vairyn]

As the large crack formed in the legendary mirror that was never meant to shatter, the individuals in the room stood frozen, shocked.

Vairyn understood the shook. In fact, even he was a little surprised. The Ahar clan had made this specific mirror almost impermeable to destruction, except by one specific person. One specific chosen person.

Everyone stared at Vairyn, wondering if he was the chosen one.

But how was that possible? He was not an Ahar. He was not even a Vahrian.

After the initial silence, Lady Meera was first to react.

She pounced in the direction of Vairyn, and though Vairyn was fast, he was not fast enough to avoid the speed of a woman as great as Lady Meera. She grabbed him by the neck, slamming him hard against the wall behind him.

The attack raised a commotion, causing guards to run into the room, taking the–now deposed– queen into custody before trying to defend Vairyn.

Of course, this caused the Vahrians to react. Midina growled defensively and King Aarya's massive crocodile appeared in front of her, displaying a glare that was frightening enough to cause the guards to step back in panic.

Vairyn held back his urge to roll his eyes. He would need to do a lot of replacements. Vairyn was always frustrated with these pathetic guards. However, what concerned him more at this point was that once again, the tensions in the room was rising... the tension between the humans and the Vahrians.

But Lady Meera did not let him consider that for too long. "Do you realize what you've done?" she snarled, a look of horror on her face.

Vairyn could not respond, as her grasp around his neck was too tight. He assumed she could have snapped his neck if she wanted to, but she didn't.

This was the trouble of being so well loved.

None of the people in this room would ever actually hurt him.

"If you broke the mirror before she got through completely, she could be trapped!" Lady Meera shouted.

"She's fine," Vairyn said.

"And how, exactly would you know that?"

Vairyn grimaced before pushing Lady Meera's hands away. "Because I am not as stupid or naive as everyone thinks."

Seeing that Lady Meera had let him go, Saphryn took that as an opportunity to launch his own attack.

Vairyn was not as worried of an attack from Saphryn, knowing he could hold up against him... especially now that he had no Vahri.

Saphryn pounced in Vairyn's direction but Vairyn used his sword to defend himself. The weapons clashed and almost immediately, all head turned towards the two brothers who, for this first time, were fighting each other.

However, the Vahri-less Saphryn, who was using his fighting knives, somehow managed to push Vairyn back, surprising him.

Anger. Vairyn thought, looking into his little half-brother blue eyes. They were no longer as bright as they once were, and the sight made Vairyn's eyes narrow. He had heard that Saphryn's strength had been tainted by his anger. So this is what the secret keeping had done to him.

It made Saphryn... angry.

Now, Vairyn was more certain that sending Nylah home was the right decision.

A new reason to–

"What the hell were you thinking?" Saphryn growled. The sound of his voice was new to Vairyn. He had never heard this angry side of him.