Chapter 23 - [Hiding]

I opened my eyes again and shot up from where I was lying down on the floor. I rubbed my head because it was aching so badly and tried to remember what the hell happened and where I was.

And then I remembered Vairyn.

I swear I saw Vairyn.

I looked around, trying to see if he was anywhere nearby, but then froze at the sight of Zylus, who was sitting on a chair, facing me with a grin.

Aw shit.

I stood up quickly, freaking out more because of the fact that his eyes were practically glued on me.

I was still alive. He didn't try to take the jewels from me yet? I mean, of course I was glad but what the hell was he waiting for?

"Who put the protection seal on you?" he asked. "I would love to get rid of them when I'm done with you."

I raised my brows.

Protection seal?

Zylus stood up quickly, startling me. He walked over to me, grabbing my left arm and turning it around to reveal a strange imprint on my wrist, looking almost like a burn. It looked almost like that symbol that Saphryn had on his chest, the one that bonded him with Avarius, except this one wasn't glowing.

My eyes widened at the sight of it. I had never seen it before in my life. "I..."

He began to squeeze my arm, and I felt a burning sensation.

"What... what are you doing?" I asked, raising my voice and trying to pull myself away from him.

I couldn't get away from him though, and the pain rushed through me from my wrist. "Stop!"

"Who put this on you?" He repeated.

"I don't know!" I shouted. He didn't kill me just so that he could find out who did this? "You're crazy!" When I was finally able to pull away, I collapsed backwards, and when I looked at my arm I saw that the symbol was gone.

He stood up right then, making me let out a breath. "The Blue Moon feels different today than it did in our first encounter," the man said. "It feels... more active. Stronger. What have you done?"

He sounded as insane as he did the first time we met, but right now I needed to find a way to escape.

We were in some sort of closed room. I could see the door, but I'd have to run past Zylus to get to it, and the last time I tried something like that, that day on the roof, it didn't go so well.

As I tried to think of an escape plan, Zylus grabbed my arm again, lifting me up in front of him. "Well, if you aren't going to answer me, then I won't waste any time this time around," he said as he put his fingers on my forehead.

My eyes widened, and just as his fingers moved away from my forehead, I began to feel the excruciating pain.

I tried not to scream, but I couldn't hold it back. It hurt so much, like a knife being stabbed through my skull, so I screamed.

But I realized I couldn't let him do this. I couldn't let him steal these jewels.

Saphryn needed them.

They would help him!

And then I remembered what I did to Beeto.

I tried to pull my mind away from the pain and focus on blasting this guy away. I wasn't even sure if I had an Vahri left in me, but I remembered feeling warmth when Saphryn tried to protect me from Zylus and prayed that he had succeeded in transferring some of his Vahri to me.