Chapter 26 - [Broken Beast]

Saphryn spent the next week with me, relaxing, and spending time being a pretty normal guy in my world.

In the week he spent with me, we had done a lot of normal things, like going on a few dates, though I didn't call them dates. We watched movies, went out for food, explored a few parks, and I even took him to a museum.

I had even introduced him to my parents, and though my dad looked a little suspicious of all the time I was spending with him, he didn't complain. And my mother even let me 'invite him over for dinner,' though she had no idea he had been eating her food for some time now.

I suppose she just assumed I was eating a lot for the past little while.

My parents liked him, since he was surprisingly polite around them. My sister, who was never around, never got a chance to meet him, but she had heard of him from my mom, and she was quick to call me and ask loads of questions.

Though I was having an amazing time, and I knew Saphryn did really enjoy my company, it was obvious from the look on his face that, once our week together came to a close, he had realized that this normal life was not the life for him.

After watching all the Toby Maguire Spider Man movies with him at my house, Saphryn and I were hanging out at a park after sunset.

I had a coffee in my hand, though I really shouldn't have been drinking coffee so late in the evening, and Saphryn was sitting next to me in the bench, one arm around my shoulders, which had healed and was no longer in a sling. "What's wrong?" I asked, seeing his furrowed brows.

"With great power comes great responsibility, huh?"

I chuckled.

"You made me watch those movies on purpose, didn't you."

I shrugged. Yeah. I did. "He's my favourite super hero."

Saphryn looked at me. "I thought I was your favourite superhero."

I laughed. "Well you aren't really a superhero," I muttered, taking a sip of my coffee.

He sighed.

We stayed silent for a bit, and I could tell he had something he wanted to say, so I waited. When he was ready, he finally spoke up after a big sigh.

"Saphirian was my father," he said.

This was the first time I had heard him say it himself. When I looked at him, I saw that he was looking straight ahead at nothing in particular.

"And I know nothing about him, aside from the fact that he saved people... I don't know anything about my mother either."

"Why don't you talk to Vairyn?" I asked. "Vairyn knew the both of them... and the one truth that you do know is that he's your brother. And he loves you."

"But he's the one I'm most angry at. If he loved me then why would he lie to me for all these years

"He must have had a reason to, Saph."

"He's going to say it was to protect me," he snorted. "Fine, but from what?"

"Just go talk to him," I said. "It's the easiest way for you to get all the answers you want... the answers you need."

Saphryn was still frowning, and it seemed like he didn't feel comfortable with doing what I was telling him to do.

So I decided not to push it further, not now, at least.

"What about my grandmother?" I tried. "She knows Saphirian, maybe she can answer your questions about him."

"Maybe... If she doesn't kill me for leaving first."