Chapter 22 - [Ripped Away]

I was still a little shaken when we returned to the still partially destroyed town, walking right up to where the mirror was and where Saphryn had had his previous confrontation. At this point, only King Aarya, Lord Kyshan, Midina, Lady Iva and Nyle were there. Vairyn seemed to have left.

"Saphryn," the King said, turning to face him. "You–"

"I'll go through the mirror and see what's on the other side."

She rolled her eyes immediately. "Absolutely not–"

Saphryn scowled at her. "I already asked you to stop acting like my mother."

Her concerned expression was replaced with an annoyed one. "I am not telling you this because I want to act like your mother. I am telling you this as your commander."

"It doesn't matter," he said. "Nothing that you or anyone else says matters. Not until I decide it will matter."

"Saphryn!" The woman shouted, looking like she had had it with his attitude. Though she denied trying to act like his mother... she really did look like an angry mother. Maybe that was really what all of this was about. Maybe she really did love him like a son and wanted more than anything to keep him safe. "How dare–"

Lord Kyshan held put his hand on the King's shoulder, making her settle down, before looking at Saphryn. "Do not speak to the King with such a tone, Saphryn. She has only ever meant well."

"None of you people have ever believed in me, so why should I trust what you have to say?"

I put a hand on his arm. "Saph," I started. "What did I say?"

He looked at me and frowned, but I saw that he relaxed a little before looking back at the others. "You don't want me to go because you don't think I can handle it," he said, raising his head up. "But I can. I'm not going to let any of you hold me back anymore."

"Our intention is to protect you, son," Lady Iva said.

"You don't do that with any of the other warriors," Saphryn said. "Stop treating me like a child. I've had it rougher than anyone else my age yet you station them in the middle of the toughest battles and let them bring back glory and titles and respect. And you have me sit back and watch while everyone continues to call me weak and powerless when it's not even my fault."

The King considered Saphryn's words, frowning, and obviously not liking it, but definitely considering what he had to say.

"This mirror could lead straight to Z–"

Let him go. Avarius said, stepping forward from behind us.

Everyone looked at him in shock, including Saphryn.

If he wishes to prove himself then let him go. He said simply. I wish to test his limits myself, maybe this will provide me with the perfect opportunity.

"If he crosses through that mirror, the girl must go with him," the King said. "We don't know how far that portal will take him, and if it is too far, it could kill her. Do you really want to risk her safety?"

"I can protect her," Saphryn said. "She believes in me. In fact she seems like the only one who believes in me." He muttered the last part, which made me let out a soft laugh.

In that case, I shall join. Midina said.

"A King and a Legend," Lord Kyshan said, turning to the King. "I trust they can keep them safe."

I saw Saphryn roll his eyes, annoyed that they were still concerned about keeping him safe. What I was surprised of, however, was Midina being referred to as a Legend. I knew Avarius was the King of Beasts... but I didn't know Midina was a Legend.