Purple - 17

PART THREE 'PURPLE' - CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - ALICE'S POV

I was sitting in class, trying desperately to pay attention. Needless to say, I was not. Who could blame me though? I don't think there's anyone out there who could read A Midsummer Night's Dream when they know that their best friend was murdered. 

I remembered watching Archie go into Miss Grundy's class, holding his phone and earbuds in class. I would think he was just going to ask for help with his music, but after recalling seeing them together on July 4th, I think it's safe to assume that there was more than just music being discussed...

Finally,  the bell rang, and it was time to go to cheerleading tryouts. I wasn't really all that nervous, as Cheryl seemed pretty hellbent on me being the Junior Captain of the RiverVixens, and I was certain that Veronica would be accepted as well. Betty, on the other hand, well her I wasn't really sure about.

I quickly put my notebook and binder into my locker and was about to head off when my phone buzzed in my pocket. I took it into my hand to read the message.

JugJones01: Hey, good luck with tryouts 

I smiled down at the screen before sending a short message back.

Ali: Thanks!

"Hey Alice!" Veronica called out to me from a few feet away, causing me to jump slightly, "You ready?"

"Yeah," I said, closing my locker and making my way over to her. The two of us walked to the gymnasium where Betty was waiting for us. 

When we entered, the first thing I noticed was Cheryl sat on a chair like a queen on her throne, social power almost radiated off of her porcelain skin. 

As we did our routine that Veronica and I choreographed, I tried to put some energy into it, to make it seem like I actually wanted to be a cheerleader.

"Woo go Bulldogs!" Veronica and I cheered in unison as we finished the cheer.  

"Alice, you weren't half bad," Cheryl said cooly, her tone even, "but ladies, where's the heat? Where's the sizzle?"

"Well... you haven't seen our big finish yet." Veronica improvised, leaving Alice confused as to what she was planning.

Veronica grabbed Betty by the arm, and kissed her, leaving Alice so shocked she dropped the pompom she was holding. A few of the girls in the back appeared shocked as well, but most didn't really react, simply treating it as something boring.

Alice could see Cheryl resisting to roll her eyes as she said, "Check your sell-by date ladies. Faux lesbian kissing hasn't been taboo since 1994. So let's see if you two do better with the interview portion of our audition."

"Betty. How's your sister doing?" Cheryl continued. Veronica, confused, turned to look at Betty.

"Polly's... fine." Betty told her with hesitation, "Thanks for asking..."

"Veronica, has Betty told you about her sister yet?"

"Uhh," Veronica said, "No."

"Go ahead, Betty. Tell Veronica about your sister and my dear brother." Cheryl said, pushing further.

"Polly and Jason dated-" Betty started before Cheryl cut her off.

"I wouldn't say dated."

"It didn't end well-" Betty continued.

"In fact," Cheryl interrupted again, "Jason's probably why your sister had a nervous breakdown and now lives in a group home. Isn't it?"

"That's what my parents think..." Betty said quietly.

"What do you have to say about that, Betty?" Cheryl questioned, "Go ahead, the floor is yours. Whatever you've been dying to spew about Jason and how he treated Polly, unleash it. Destroy me. Tear me a new one. Rip me to shreds. Annihilate me."

Alice could see Betty digging her nails deep into her palms, as a drop of red spilled onto the gym floor.

"I just..." Betty began to break.

"Finally," Cheryl sighed.

But then Betty unclenched her hands, "I just wanted to say I'm sorry about what happened to Jason. I can't even imagine what you and your family must be going through."

"Thanks," Cheryl said with a sigh.

"Veronica and Alice, welcome to the RiverVixens. Betty, better luck next time. 

"Wait, what? Why?" Veronica asked, "Because you couldn't bully Betty into being a bitch?"

My eyes widened, horrified that Veronica was being so openly rude to Cheryl.

"I need girls with fire on my squad." Cheryl stated plainly.

"I know what you need, Cheryl, because I know who you are. You would rather people fear than like you, so you traffic in fear and intimidation."

Cheryl's face stayed blank, like a painted mask covering all of her emotions, though it was clear she was not happy.

"You're rich, so you've never been held accountable, but I'm living proof. That certainty, that entitlement you wear on your head like a crown? It won't last. Eventually, there will be a reckoning." 

"Or," Veronica said, a slight edge to her voice, "Maybe that reckoning it now, and maybe that reckoning is me."

"Betty, Alice, and I come as a trio set. You want two, you take us all. You wanted fire?" 

"Sorry, CherryBombshell, my specialty is ice."

-broooo this is the longest chapter of this book its over 800 words it took sooo long to write omg. but i'll try to update again tonight. <3 comment and vote if you want a second chapter up tonight!-

-also a lot of you guys preferred 1st person or a mix of both, so i'll be doing a mix but more 1st person!-