Chapter 3

Arthit sat on the bar stool bored to death. He had been enjoying himself, dancing with Knot and Bright. Then Knot got a call from his date and left. Prem had disappeared from Knot's home saying them he would turn up directly at the pub. He was yet to. Bright disappeared in the crowd when Arthit went for a round of drink. Arthit also drank the share he had bought for Bright. Sighing, he got up from his stool and headed for the exit.

On his way out, he caught Bright dancing with a girl Arthit could only describe as his friend's type. They caught each other's eyes. Arthit gave him a thumbs up and Bright winked. Arthit took his phone out and switched it on. He walked out of the building into the cool air night. It was getting colder. He pulled his jacket closer, trying to keep as warm as possible. As soon as his phone switched on, it showed 1% battery remaining alert. He had not charged the battery since Thursday. Messages started flooding in, text alert going off continuously. There were missed call notifications too - from his parents, Toot and Kongphob. In fact, there were several missed calls from him. Arthit tapped on the text notification to check his LINE messages.

[Friday, 21: 43] I was travelling then, P'Arthit. There was no reception. Sorry.

[Friday, 21: 44] I am home. What are you doing?

[Friday, 21: 55] Are you busy?

[Saturday, 10: 16] P'Arthit?

[Saturday, 17: 29] I hope everything is okay.

Arthit was scrolling and checking the hours at which Kongphob had called - It was all between when they were drinking last night and Arthit's waking up in the evening. The phone log screen disappeared as Kongphob's name flashed on the caller id.

Arthit immediately picked it up. "Hello?"

"P'Arthit?"

"Kongphob."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. I am fine."

"You weren't replying and didn't answer or call back so I was worried."

He was worried, huh? "I just saw your text-"

"Yea, I know." Right. Must have shown 'Read'.

"Were you staring at the chat screen?" Arthit teased. He crossed the road and waited on the pavement to catch a taxi.

"I was worried."

"Why?" A taxi slowed down. He gave his address and climbed in.

"Are you outside?"

"Yea." There was a beep sound and the call got disconnected. Arthit pulled the phone away from his ear and saw it shut down. Oh damn. Kongphob would have to wait till Arthit charged his phone.

*

Arthit woke up in the middle of the night. He had forgotten to eat before going to bed. His stomach was rumbling loudly. It was three in the morning. No near by shops would be open at this hour. Should he drag himself all the way to the nearest KFC? That was the nearest 24x7 food shop. Groaning, Arthit sat up not ready to go out but he was hungry enough to not be able to fall back asleep. Slowly, he went through the process of changing clothes. He pulled on a cotton trousers, put on his yellow worn out hoodie, unplugged his phone from charge,  collected his wallet and room card and keys and stepped out of his cozy flat. It was getting colder due to winter. Arthit wanted to snuggle back into his mattress but he needed to eat. He locked his door and trudged through the corridor.