Chapter 2: Brendon

2003

"Come on Ryan, it'll be like a mini adventure. There's places that need to be explored. This is one of them." I was tugging on his arm, trying to convince him to explore the woods behind my house.

We are the nerdy type of guys, the ones who focus on school work and playing it safe so they have a future of going to college. We never did drugs, or drank alcoholic beverages while trying to hide it from our parents. We never went out on dates or went to parties. We made our own fun, we had each other. Then one day I had made a realization, and I shared it with Ryan earlier today, the moment we stepped out of school.

"We're doing it all wrong. We're kids now, but soon we'll be just working our asses off in boring old jobs. We'll never have time to do what we want, so these years must be spent properly. Life isn't about playing it safe, it's not about playing at all. It's about creating new memories, not reliving them day by day. We have to break routine." I preached at him while he sat there with a serious look on his face.

I watched him as he tapped his pen in one hand as he looked down at his notebook, his long hair swooping in front of his face. Ryan is a guy with a lot of feelings that needed to be said, but it was easier for him to write them down then to speak them. So I bought him a leather notebook for his birthday and he has been using it ever since. Mostly for writing lyrics these days.

"Well, I guess it'll make for some good lyric writing." He finally gave me a nod as a smile curled on his lips.

Now here we are, starting our first adventure. As we started walking deeper into the woods, I turned my head to the right as I saw a glimpse of a pond, with the reflections of the trees bouncing off of the water.

"Look over there, man!" I shook his shoulder and pointed to the body of water. We looked at each other for a second with glowing excitement on our faces before we both took off in a sprint, and I could hear the cracking of wood under our feet.

When we finally got there, we took it in for a second. Nature at its purest. Panting and bending over, we knew we had found something great. We both collapsed on the fresh green grass next to the water, staring up at the blue clouds, with our hands folded behind our heads. We knew we found our own private heaven.

 We knew we found our own private heaven