Chapter 31: Brendon

I've made a huge mistake. I didn't mean for this to happen. Never would I have thought that it would happen. I just wanted to save him. But I caused harm upon him and his father. More than that.

Ryan fell to his knees, his way too slim body shaking violently as if it was locked in a freezer. Ryan's hair was matted down and greasy, and there were cuts and bruises all over him. In the first moments of his freedom, he witnessed his father being shot dead and it was all because of me.

Unsure of what to do, I got off of Christopher's unconscious body and walked over to Ryan. As soon as I had put my hand on his bone thin shoulder, it shook even more violently and he yanked himself away from my touch.

"Leave me alone! I don't know you!" He screamed in a petrified way. I could see tears roll down his dirtied face, cleaning the filth off of it.

I was taken back about what he said. He does know me! I'm Brendon, his best friend! Maybe he's just confused.

I rolled down my sleeves so it went over my hand and tried to wipe the tears from his face, but he pushed my arm away.

I didn't understand. Does he hate me? It wasn't just my fault that his father way dead, for godsake. It was Christopher's gun!

"Ryan, I'm so sorry I..." but he suddenly stood up and cut me off. Sirens wailed in the distance, but I refused to just leave him.

"Just get away from me! Leave! Run away, you fool! I can't be friends with somebody who kills!" His eyes stared into mine, but they weren't the soft and welcoming eyes, they were filled with hate and anger.

All this time, I spent it looking for him. I was so happy that I had found him, I couldn't put it into words when I saw his frail body appear from the darkness of the basement. I wanted to take him to the pond, give him as much food as possible, get him healthy again. We could had lived normal lives, and forget about these terrible last few months. But he wouldn't let me anywhere near him. Every time I moved toward him, he moved backwards, back towards the basement.

"Ryan, I never gave up looking for you...I had to kill..." I tried to reason with him but it was no use.

"No Brendon, you never have kill. You could have gotten the police and handled this in a civilized matter or something! Just stay away, don't hurt me!" His eyes were full of fear now.

He actually feared me. He was afraid of me, he thought I was going to hurt him, but I would never do that.

Without warning, Christopher stood up behind Ryan, wrapping his arms around Ryan's waist. Christopher turned around with Ryan squirming in his arms, trying to get free. The basement door was wide open.

"No! Don't, please!" I screamed.

But it was no use. Christopher knew he was going down, and he had to bring someone down with him. That person just so happened to be Ryan. He swung Ryan's body down the stairs, and all I could hear was his body hitting each step as he rolled roughly down each step. I heard a final bang, his head had hit something on he bottom of the steps.

That was the final straw. Nobody hurts Ryan. Even if he hated my guts, I still was going to protect him at all costs.

I took another knife and quickly whipped it at Christopher. I missed his heart but slashed his upper arm. I was so enraged that it made it hard to focus and aim. But I knew I had to end it all. Right here and now.

I grabbed my final knife, and aimed it at the brute man. Before I could throw it, I felt an extensive shock of energy race through my body, but it wasn't a good type of energy, it actually hurt like hell. Before I knew it, I was pinned on the floor by several police officers while others walked in with a gun pointed at Christopher. I watched as he held his hands up and they forcibly put them behind his back, cuffing him.

I too received cuffs slapped on my wrists. They were reading me my rights, but all I could think about was if Ryan was okay.

"Ryan...Ryan...Ryan" I repeated, ignoring the officer who was talking to me. I was forced off the ground and dragged by my arms toward the cop car, and I watched as police officers made their way down the hell hole that had once imprisoned my friend.

A smile tugged on the tips of my lips. If he survived, he would be free. That was because of me.