Chapter 5: Brendon

I stood there for a few minutes, watching the sunset go down, reflective of all the wrong I did to Ryan. It was a stupid idea. I went overboard. I don't deserve a friend like him. He would still have his first beer with me when he's 21. How could he just be that kind to me, even after what I said. Once the sun was unable to be seen, I took off in a sprint. I needed to apologize to him, not let him go to sleep thinking I was angry at him.

"RYAN!" I called out, no answers. I caused a lot of barking to erupt among the neighborhood though. Ryan only lives a few blocks away, so he was probably home now, or just about at it. The streetlights lit my path as waves of emotions spiked me. Then I heard something, piercing my ears, causing my heart to stop beating for a second.

"HELP ME!" I heard in the distance. Then it was just muffled screams. I couldn't tell if it was him or not. I wished about a thousand times in that one minute after it all went quiet that it wasn't. Then I ran faster than I ever had to his house and banged on the door, almost breaking it.

Ryan's dad opened the door, he was drunk, holding a bottle of beer in his hand. Shit, that's another wrong I've sinned. His dad is an alcoholic, and I forgot about it. I was too caught up in everything to take a second and think about what it would mean to ask Ryan to drink beer with me.

"Hi Mr. Ross, is Ryan there? Did he come home?" I asked, worry washing over me as he stared at me confused.

"No...I don't think so?" he answered slowly, looking around the house. A questionable response. I wouldn't take it. Hell no. Not in this situation. I had to know if he was safe. He had to be. Maybe his dad didn't realize he came home because he was too busy watching TV. Right?

I pushed him a side in fury, running inside, walking up the stairs into his bedroom to only find an empty room, breathless of the person who lived in it. I felt so many emotions right then, anger, sadness, fear, disgust, shame, and then nothing.