Chapter 10: Ryan

I awoke to the same empty and dark basement in the kidnapper's house. This time I was chained up to the wall, I could feel the moist bricks with my back, and a shiver went down my spine. I hanged there, arms in the air, legs dangling, unable to touch the ground. Never have I felt so hopeless. I tried to reach for things in the room with my legs but it was no use, the kidnapper was smart enough to keep everything out of my reach. In frustration I started pounding my legs on the wall to make a lot of noise and started screaming.

The door had swung open, smashing into the brick wall. Fuck.

"Why me? What did I do to you?! Let me go!" I begged the man, knowing it was no use.

"You did nothing to me, but this is what I have to do to get justice for her." He urged.

"For who?" I asked, calmly, like I cared. I didn't.

"Katherine." he said, pulling up a chair, just out of reach for me to shove my foot in his damn face that I still haven't seen yet.

"Let me tell you why you're here, you little shit. Keep quiet, or else I'm going to cut one of those long fingers off and send it in the mail to your little friend. That's right, I know his address." he warned me.

***

1978 - The Kidnapper

It was June 9th, 1978. Three years ago I met the love of my life at a rollerskating rink during summer vacation. She was with a few of her friends, giggling as they helped her learn how to roller skate. I watched her closely because her smile made the tips of my mouth curl and my heart beat out of my chest. She was the prettiest girl in the rink, and I knew there was no chance that she would ever talk to me but I had to day dream anyways.

Once she got the groove of how to roller skate, she started showing off to her friends, showing that she didn't need any help. Her white summer dress blew in the wind as she skated. She kept looking back at her friends as she started roller skating right towards me, not paying any attention. I stood there, frozen. She ended up running right into me while laughing at her friends, knocking me down.

"Oh jeez, I'm so sorry! I'm not so good at skating yet I guess." She apologized as her friends giggled in the background. She tried to stand up but couldn't figure out how.

"You have to put one foot in front of you, and one behind you. Then come up and kneel on one knee, with the other foot square on the ground in front of you. Put both hands on the ground in front of you, and press into the foot that's on the ground, and bring your other foot under you." I told her.

She attempted everything that I said and actually managed to get the second foot under her so that she would be able to slowly stand up. The warm smile on her face showed how excited she was about being able to stand up without any help. Before I could tell her to rise up slowly, she rose fast, eager to show her friends what she had just did.

Suddenly, she began to lose balance. Before she was able to completely fall to the ground again, I caught her. I helped her stand up again and I had let go of her, knowing she probably didn't want anyone helping her. Unexpectedly, she reached out and held onto my shoulders.

"What's your name?" she asked gently, her blue eyes were like a vast ocean that I could not see the bottom of.

"Christopher." I nervously replied.

"Would you like to roller skate with me Christopher? I could sure use your help." she asked, changing our lives forever.

I nodded.

That day was one of the best days of my life. But today was going to top that day. As I walked her to the pond, her arm in mine, I felt the small square box in my pocket with my other hand. I'm going to be the happiest man alive I told myself. She is priceless to me, and I'm going to treat her like every day counts. She is the key to my happiness. We're going to have two kids, and our house will be secluded from everything. It will just be us.