Chapter 10

"Remember the last time we went here?" Lauren quirked up as we finished eating.

"Hmm.. When?"

"Years ago.." She said, taking a deep nervous breath before continuing, "This might sound weird, considering everything that happened between us the past few years, but um, this was where I actually fell for you."

When she finished her very sentence, I choked on my food at the sudden shift of conversation.

"Huh?" I asked uncomfortably as I coughed. I wasn't fond of what we were talking about but I was too curious to let it go.

"Well, um.. I just broke up with Luis and I was down the whole day. I wasn't talking to any of the girls or you. You girls knew something was wrong but none of you guys knew what happened. They tried to make me tell them what happened but not you, you didn't try to pry it out from me. You just came to my room and basically dragged me here, holding my hand tightly, as if it was the most valuable thing you've held - as if I was precious. It was a friendly gesture and we always did it back then, but since there was no Luis anymore, I kind of saw you in a different light. I felt safe under your touch. I didn't understand at first, I thought it was because you were always there that blinded me to think that I liked you romantically. We stayed here the whole day making corny jokes and just talked until we got scolded by the management because we had an interview at that time. We were 2 hours late and you took the bullet for me, saying that it was you who forced me to go out with you. You got scolded more than me but you took it.

"You were trying to save me just like you would always do. When I asked you if you were okay, you just smiled at me and said, "With the smile you were wearing, it was worth it, it always will be." Ever since that day, how I felt for you just blossomed into something I will never regret, so I'm sorry that I said I regretted it last year. I never regretted anything I did with you, I was just hurt by all your assumptions to the point that I wanted to hurt you too."

"It's okay, I understand." I said softly, overwhelmed. If this was where she fell for me, why did she bring me here now? I tried to look back to the memory, recalling everything that happened that day. It was true, every threats the management thrown at me that time was worth it.

She was worth it.

But I didn't get why she was telling me this. All of the memories between Lauren and I were a reminder of what we had - and eventually lost. Yes, it caused a lot of heart leaps, but it also brought constant heart aches towards the end.

But even if I was confused, I couldn't stop the feeling of my heart swelling. I thought I moved on, what the hell is this?

"Not to mention, all the food that fell off the table. Remember the waitress's face every time you made a mess," Lauren continued, making me laugh. She was obviously trying to change the topic of the conversation. She must've felt that bittersweet nostalgia too.

It was funny though, people think she's this open girl who would talk about anything shamelessly. But I know she doesn't like talking about anything personal. She hates talking about her feelings so she sort of divert anything that is remotely close to the topic by talking about politics. So it's a pleasant surprise that she was talking about it.

We talked for a bit more after that, joking around about our past, reminding me of how much fun we had before the storm took over. As much as I want to say that Lauren's wrong, I can't.. I kind of miss her too.

As we talked, I couldn't help but notice how her eyes were dancing with happiness as we conversed. Her lips tugged into a huge smile, lifting her cheeks up cutely, the crinkle on the tips of here eyes prominent from the smile.