01 | douleur.

D O U L E U R

[french → grief]

Maya looked outside, her eyes watery. Tears fell, her heart beating faster and faster as she thought of him. He wasn't just the man she loved—he was her life. All the pain she'd went through were unbearable, but he stood by her side no matter what. 

He loved her, and she loved him.

She felt empty, as if there was a hole in her chest where once her heart stayed. She felt lonely, only the sound of her breathing filled the air of her room. She felt dead, inside out.

Her lips trembled, more tears rolled down her cheek. She dug her nail deep into her palm, ignoring the searing pain that etched. Nathan—the name that had kept her alive these days, only to creep in her dreams.

She felt a hand rubbing her back, her head cocking sideways instantly when she thought of him. It wasn't him, it was Emily. "Hey,"

Maya sobbed, wiping her unstoppable tears with her scraped palm. Ignoring the stinging pain, she wept even more. Emily pulled her into an embrace, only to comfort her. "Shhh, it's okay." Emily's voice croaked.

Maya closed her eyes—her thoughts only showing his face, his smile, his laugh, his eyes. Though she knew they weren't real. They were just her memories—memories of him that she'll always remember and never forget.