23 | door.

D O O R

[hindi, urdu → far, away]

Tahira lay on her bed, her eyes fixed on the empty white ceiling. She was exhausted—the night shift was horribly tiring. She hated her job but it was the only thing that kept her away from the predicaments of her thoughts—the thoughts about her relationship with Nathan.

She was glad that she'd met him—even when she knew that he belonged to someone else but she was glad. Really glad. Nathan has kept her away from the verge of sadness. He'd kept her far away from being suicidal.

Her life was complicated—filled with people whom she cared so much that they didn't even notice. It was as if she was just an illusion to them. Blinking away the tears, she pushed herself to a sitting position, facing the wall.

The sound of her buzzing phone almost made her jump and as soon as she picked it up, she knew that her break was already over. "Yeah?"

"We need you in the OT in fifteen minutes," the person over the phone said in hurry. "Our patient is critical,"

"I'm on my way," Tahira sighed, hanging up the call. She got her attire changed in just a brief span of time, allowing herself to breathe for a few minutes before heading off to the hospital.