14 | vérité.

V E R I T E

[french → truth] 

Maya waited. Three hours had already passed and there was still no sign of her. Maya was worried that she wouldn't show up—not after what she had done yesterday. She shouldn't have slapped her, or even screamed at her for being a slut, for taking away something—someone that belonged to her.

Nathan.

The air was heavy with alcohol—the pungent and sharp smell of it ruining her appetite. She leaned against the bar counter, her hand dangling over the edge as if she was drunk. Exhaling heavily, she slumped her head hard on the smooth, marbled surface, feeling numb. Out of all of a sudden, she felt a hand on her shoulder and she knew it was the girl—the girl who took Nathan away from her. Clearing her throat, Maya stood facing her and the girl smiled lightly. "Hi,"

"Hi," Maya replied. "I—uh—I'm sorry about yesterday,"

The girl let out a sardonic laugh, "It's okay—I know how it feels," Pulling a stool across from Maya, the girl drew in closer. "I—um—I should be the one to say sorry. I mean, I should've explained to you earlier."

"Explain what?"

"—that my relationship with Nathan is not what you think it is. It's...different."

"I don't understand?" Maya shook her head, her brows curving deep in confusion. She leaned in closer, her breathing intensifying as she waited for the girl's reply. What did she meant by different? How different is it?

For once, Maya was scared—scared that she might lose Nathan forever. Because what if this girl was his ex? And they're getting back together behind Maya's back? What if they're already married? She shook her head, pushing the thoughts about the girl and Nathan away.

"It's a—umm, a long story." The girl sighed, "And oh, by the way, I'm Tahira."

"I'm—"

Before she could say her name, Tahira cut her off. "Maya Banes, I know"

"Wait—umm," Maya swallowed hard. She was confused, her addled brain playing tricks on her. She didn't know what to say. How did Tahira know her name? Who is she? "How do you know my name?"

"I told you, it's a long story." Tahira flashed a small smile. Tucking her hair behind her ear, she said softly. "He's not well, Maya." Tahira looked down, her eyes clearly showing pain. Maya always knew that something was wrong with Tahira ever since she met her yesterday.

The look on her face showed nothing but pain. It was as if she had suffered a loss that she couldn't accept, just like how Maya was when she thought Nathan was dead. Deep down in the dark corners of her heart, Maya felt guilt. She felt guilty for going all mad at her—screaming at her, calling her names, or even hitting her.

But she knew it was too late to say sorry but she did apologized earlier. Strangely, Tahira seemed to be cool about it. It was as if she was accepting the fact that she was a slut but from the look of her face, Maya knew that she wasn't that type of girl.

Tahira looked at Maya, the sulky face of hers only showing Maya the days she've spent without Nathan—the days where she lived in grief for months. "Nathan needs you Maya, he needs you,"