29 | verum.

V E R U M

[latin → truth, reality] 

Tahira sat by wooden chair near the balcony, the beautiful view of the concrete jungle in front of her pleasing her eyes. From the luscious hues of orange that reflected of the glass buildings, and the faint sound of traffic filling the air, everything seemed to keep her in awe—except for Nathan.

A drop of tear settled on her cheek, her heart beating painfully as she thought of him. As soon as she felt a hand on her shoulder, she quickly brushed it away. Emily, Maya's best friend was beside her, concern showing on her face.

"I know you like him,"

Tahira felt like she just swallowed a marble, her eyes watery. "I don't just like him—I love him," She looked down, rubbing the sweaty palms of hers onto her jeans. "I love him very much,"

"Then why don't you just tell her?" Emily landed beside her, her hands reaching for Tahira's shoulders. Tahira turned to look at her, her lips trembling as the tears rolled down her cheek. "Why are you doing this to yourself?"

"Tell Maya? No, I—" Tahira choked at her words, having no clue of what she should say. Why is she doing to herself? Why is she sacrificing her happiness for someone else? "I really don't know—I mean, seeing Maya go through all the pain made me realise that—"

"What?"

"—that the happiness of someone really matters. Sometimes you really have to sacrifice, and it's very much needed when it's needed." Tahira said softly. "Maya have gone through a lot—she saw her fiancé dying in front of her. She saw him with me and thought that he was cheating on her with me. She thought that I was a bitch. A slut, to be precise. What do you expect me to do? Just let it go?"

"No," Emily said. "That's not what I'm trying to say. What I'm trying to say is that you deserve to be happy too—I mean, you don't have to hide your feelings just for her to be happy? I know how you feel, Tahira but—"

"You don't know how I feel, Em." Tahira shot back, her voice louder. "You don't. I know how it feels! I know how it feels to go through all that. Trust me, I've been there—and it's not that easy."

"What do you mean?"

"I've been through the trials of love before, Emily." Tahira said sharply, the edge of her voice hoarse. "I've been there and I've only learned one simple thing," she took a deep breath, the wind kissing her cheeks and when she turned her view towards the glass buildings, she continued. 

"I've learned that love is never easy. Love is like a gamble—you either lose or win and, what determines you of winning it is how you play the game."