27 | sakit.

S A K I T

[malay, indonesian → pain, hurt]

Tahira stood by the ocean, the salty water brushing off her feet that was caked with sand, a cool feeling washing though her as she closed her eyes. She breathed in the oxygen—the air pregnant with salt. The wind blew in like a hurricane, sending locks of her hair high in the air.

She saw Emily in the water, a huge smile on her face when she splashed water at Maya's face, sending Maya tumbling in the shallow water of the ocean. Tahira landed herself on the damp sand, letting the cool water of the ocean wash under her. 

She was about to stand and join them in their little water fight but a hand stopped her. And she immediately knew that it was him. Turning around, Tahira half-frowned, half-smiled at him. "Hey, you're awake." Tahira shook her head. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Uh, I just wanted to see what you guys are up to," Nathan smiled, his brows scrunched together in confusion "I was all alone up there, so I thought why not?"

"You need a lot of rest, Nate." Tahira sighed, the little smile on her face fading quickly. "You're not supposed to be here, you know. You need to let your mind rest."

"I'm okay, don't worry about me." Nathan frowned, "It's just that I don't know how to feel right now, you know?" He shook his head, digging his hand deeper into the damp sand. "It's just that I feel weird—like I don't know," he let out a long sigh before continuing. "I feel old,"

"Old?" Tahira frowned. "I don't understand?"

"It's like—" Nathan sighed, gritting his teeth as he looked at Maya in the ocean. "I—I keep on seeing Maya where ever I go. I see her in my dreams." He shook his head again and continued, "It feels as though I knew her long before—like, as if she was related to me. The kiss I had with her—it felt so familiar,"

"Really?" Tahira asked, the voice of her cracking. Clearing her throat, she tried to smiled reassuringly. "Maybe it's because—"

"You're not telling me something, am I right?" Nathan looked at Tahira, his face slack.

"Tell you what?"

"Everything," Nathan said. "After my coma, you said I was fine and needed some time for myself to heal. What did you mean by that?"

"Nate, that was three months ago!" Tahira shot back at him.

"I know!" Nathan said, his voice plain. "You're hiding something from me, I can feel it. Just tell me what happened."

"Tell you what?" Tahira raised her voice."

"About my past! Tell me everything that I need to know," he looked away from her, his eyes fixed on Maya. "I deserve to know everything!" Nathan shook his head, turning to look at Tahira. 

He was beautiful. Too beautiful to look at. The dazzling blue eyes, the elegant dark hair, the chiseled features of his cheekbones, the full lips—everything about him was perfect. He was the definition of perfect.

"Tahira?"

"Yes?" Tahira said, shaking her head. She felt like an idiot—she realised that she was staring at him for a little too long, and it was a stupid thing to do. Without hesitation, she spat. "Fine. You lost your memories after the accident. You were in coma for six weeks."

"What?" Nathan said in shock.

"I'm sorry,"

"Sorry's not gonna solve everything," With that, Nathan blasted off the beach—heading straight towards Emily's home.