04 | nahas.

N A H A S

[malay → tragedy, accident]

Maya stared blankly at computer screen, not knowing what to do. Her eyes stung, the bright light from the screen stabbing her eyes. She didn't blink, nor did she do any work. For hours, she sat still, her eyes locked to the screen.

She didn't have the purpose to move on. And she didn't want to move on. Something inside her told her to stop, to accept the fact that there is never a happy ending. It was true they say, happy endings only happen in fairytales.

She took the cup of coffee in her hands, taking a sip. It felt bitter, tasteless. It was as if her life was represented in such way. Bitter and tasteless. There was no love to taste. There was no man to love. There will never be a happy ending. 

Never.

Hours passed and it was time to go home. Emily wasn't here yet, so Maya took off on her own. She didn't know where she was heading to—she walked blindingly on the streets. The busy world turned silent, only the screeching of the dreadful winds filled the city air.

Even when the vehicles passed by, there were no sound. It was as if she was in a deserted city of souls. She could only hear the sound of her breathing—the little puffs of white smoke escaping her lips as she breathed.

She walked, and walked—not knowing that a car was driving into her direction.