02 | akela.

A K E L A

[hindi → alone, lonely] 

She fluttered her eyes open, a few rays of light stabbing her eyes. Maya pushed herself straight, feeling exhausted. Her back cracked with relief as she stretched her arms high, only feeling numb. She landed her feet on the cold, wooden boards of the floor.

Approaching the glass doors of her balcony, Maya felt the cool autumn wind as she pushed the doors open. The psithurism of the trees in the breeze of nature whispered to her, only to make her hear his voice.

Maya closed her eyes, thinking of him.

She was with him, holding hands as they walked through the busy streets of New York. The cabs hustled by, the sound of honking vehicles and the loud, screeching wind of winter filled the metropolitan air. It was cold, and Nathan was always there to keep her warm.

Nathan looked at her, his calm, blue eyes filled with concern. She smiled—the look on his eyes warmed her heart. Nathan smiled back, revealing a row of shiny, white teeth. He was handsome—the thick, curly brown hair, his brick-hard muscles, his soft lips—

The sudden, unexpected sharp thud of a knock caught her attention. The door swung open, revealing Emily in place. She smiled, approaching Maya's bed. "You okay?"

Maya nodded, lying. She wasn't okay and she never will be. Blinking away the sudden tears, she looked away, ignoring Emily's existence in the room. Her heart cried out, beating fast like a cheetah. She felt it again.

She felt the loneliness—feeling the emptiness inside her. She was devastated. Without him, she was lifeless, for only when his breath met hers, she could breath.