Chapter 5

Harry appeared, next to platform nine and three-quarters the next morning.

  "Packed with Muggles, of course" he heard a red haired lady say, she was followed by a flock of red haired children.

"Excuse me" Harry said "but I heard you say muggle, could you tell me how to get on the platform?" He asked politely.

"First year?" the woman asked.

"Yes" replied Harry.

"Ron's a first year too" she said with a smile "come, we'll help you" the woman stood next to the pillar between platform nine and ten "All right, Percy, you go first" the oldest of the redheads ran into the pillar and disappeared, soon followed two others "now you young man" she gestured at harry, Harry ran and soon he stood on the platform.

Harry noticed one of the redheads and told him to give his thanks to their mother before he hurried onto the train to find an empty compartment.

After Harry had put his trunk and Hedwig down and pulled out a book before he sat down. Shortly after the train began moving he heard a knock on the door, he could see the youngest of the redheads outside "come in."

"Could I sit here, everywhere else is full" the redhead asked,

"Yes" Harry said and returned to his book, the redhaired boy sat down opposite to him.

"I'm Ron, you?" Ron asked.

"Harry" he answered, not looking up from the book.

 "Harry Potter?" Ron asked excitedly.

"No, Grindelwald" Harry answered, Ron, blank as he is, didn't recognize the name "I don't know anyone by the name Harry Potter before."

"Are you muggle born then?"

"No, pureblood, raised by my house elf after my parents and grandfather died" Harry replied.

"How come you don't know Harry Potter then, he defeated You-Know-Who, he's famous in the wizarding world!"

"Never left the house and my parents died when I was one, my grandfather, a few months later" Harry said.

After some time of silence, there was a knock on the door, both of them turned to see a boy and a girl around their age.

  "Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one" she said.

"No, haven't seen it" Harry said.

"Neither have I" Ron said, as he accidently pushed the rat he had pulled out a few moments earlier, down from the seat, Harry, quick as he was, pulled out his wand and levitated it back up before it hit the floor.

"Thanks" Ron said

"How did you do that?" the girl asked "I can't get it to work."

"Practice" Harry said and returned to his book "only thing there is to do at home."

"We had better go Neville" the girl said "maybe we can find your toad a little longer down?" with that both left with Ron who wanted to help them.

Harry changed into his school robes, seeing as the train would soon be at Hogwarts, he then made sure his hair was over the scar. The train stopped and Harry walked down on the platform.

 "Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" Harry heard a giant man yell, he followed him to some boats.

"No more'n four to a boat!" the man yelled, Harry sat down in a boat and was joined by a blond boy, a blond haired girl and a dark haired girl.

 "Everyone in?" shouted the man, who had a boat to himself. "Right then  FORWARD!"

The boats then began moving and the children soon got their first look at Hogwarts, Harry had to admit it was quite impressive, but he liked Peverell Castle more. As they walked up some stairs they were met by an older lady.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said the man. 

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. 

"The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room."

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

The other students chatted about what house they would be in until Professor MCGornagall returned.

They soon walked into the Great Hall, the professor walked up to an old hat sitting on a chair, the hat the began to sing.

 "Oh, you may not think I'm pretty, 

But don't judge on what you see, 

I'll eat myself if you can find 

A smarter hat than me. 

You can keep your bowlers black,

 Your top hats sleek and tall,

 For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

 And I can cap them all. 

There's nothing hidden in your head 

The Sorting Hat can't see, 

So try me on and I will tell you 

Where you ought to be. 

You might belong in Gryffindor, 

Where dwell the brave at heart, 

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart; 

You might belong in Hufflepuff, 

Where they are just and loyal, 

Those patient Hufflepuffis are true 

And unafraid of toil; 

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, 

if you've a ready mind, 

Where those of wit and learning, 

Will always find their kind; 

Or perhaps in Slytherin 

You'll make your real friends, 

Those cunning folk use any means 

To achieve their ends. 

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

 And don't get in a flap! 

You're in safe hands (though I have none) 

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"   

The whole hall then burst's out into applause.