Chapter 19

A day after one a potions lesson, Harry, Hermione, and Draco were walking around the school and having a little chat.

"Can you believe that Weasly were trying to smuggle a dragon out of Hogwarts for Hagrid?" Draco asked as they walked on the shifting staircases.

"And now he has to serve detention for it," Harry said.

"He deserves it," Hermione said, "Keeping dragons is illegal."

"Only so muggles don't see them in our backyard..." Draco was cut short as the staircase suddenly began to move. It turned 90 degrees and stopped at a door.

"Let's go through here" Draco suggested and opened the door. The three young Slytherins walked inside and began to look for another staircase.

"Wait a minute," Harry said as they walked by a wooden door "Isn't this the third floor?"

"Your right" Hermione reassured him "We should hurry up and find a way out before one of the teachers see us here."

"What do we have here?" The voice of Filch came from behind them "Three first years on the third floor, your in trouble now."

That they were indeed, and they were appointed detention along with Weasly.

"Is that you, Filch? Hurry up, I want to get started" They heard Hagrid call as Flinch took them down to Hagrid's hut.

"I suppose you think you'll be enjoying yourself with that oaf?" Filch said, " Well, think again, boy... it's into the forest you're going and I'm much mistaken if you'll all come out in one piece."

Filch words made Weasly gulp and Draco stop in his tracks for a moment.

"The forest?" Weasly said "We can't go in there at night... there are all sorts of things in there... werewolves, I heard."

"That's your problem, isn't it?" said Filch, his voice cracking with glee. "Should've thought of them werewolves before you got in trouble, shouldn't you?"

"I'll be back at dawn," said Filch before leaving, "For what's left of them," he added nastily, and he turned and started back toward the castle.

"I'm not going in that forest," Weasly said.

"Yeh are if you want t stay at Hogwarts," said Hagrid fiercely. "Yeh've done wrong an' now you've got to pay for it."

"Right then," said Hagrid, "now, listen carefully, cause it's dangerous what we're gonna do tonight, and I don't want no one taking risks. Follow me over here a moment."

Hagrid lead them down a path, a lamp in one hand and his dog in the other.

"Look there," said Hagrid, "see that stuff shining on the ground? Silvery stuff? That's unicorn blood. There's a unicorn in there bin hurt badly by something. This is the second time in a week. I found one dead last Wednesday. We're gonna try and find the poor thing. We might have to put it out of its misery."

And what if whatever hurt the unicorn finds us first?" said Weasly, unable to keep the fear out of his voice.

"There's nothing that lives in the forest that'll hurt you if you're with me or Fang," said Hagrid. "And keep to the path. Right, now, we're gonna split inter two parties and follow the trail in different directions. There's blood all over the place, it must have been staggering around since last night at least."

"I want Fang," said Weasly quickly, looking at Fang's long teeth.

"All right, but I warn you, he's a coward," said Hagrid. " So me, Draco, and Hermione will go one way and Ron, Harry, and Fang will go the other. Now, if any of us finds the unicorn, we'll send up green sparks, right? Get your wands out and practice now... that's it... and if anyone gets in trouble, send up red sparks, and we'll all come and find yeh... so, be careful... let's go."

Later when Ron, Fang, and Harry walked through the dark forest, Fang growled at something.

"What is it, Fang?" Harry said and looked at the dog.

Harry looked up, and for a moment, just a moment, he was paralyzed by fear. A few meters in front of them, a hooded figure was standing over a dead unicorn. Suddenly his scar began to hurt.

The figure looked up and growled, making Ron and Fang run away screaming. The figure flew like a ghost towards Harry before landing and slowly walking towards him.

Harry walked backward, but fell over a root, the figure getting closer and closer.

Suddenly Harry heard what sounded like a running horse and then it jumped over him and scared the figure away.

Harry stood up and got a better look at his savior, it wasn't a horse, but a centaur.

"Harry Potter," It said, walking towards him "You must leave, you know too many creatures here, it's not safe here at this time, especially for you."

"What was that thing you saved me from?" Harry asked, he didn't dwell on the fact the centaur knew his name, they read the stars and knew much more than most believed.

"A monstrous creature" He answered "It's a terrible crime to slay a unicorn, drinking the blood of a unicorn will keep you alive, even if you are an inch from death, but at a terrible price. You have slain something so pure that from the moment the blood touches your lips, you will have a half-life, a cursed life."

"Who would ensue such a life?"

"Can you think of no one?"

"Do you mean to say? That the thing that killed the unicorn was drinking its blood, that was Voldemort?"

"Do you know what is hidden in the school at this very moment Mister Potter?"

"The Philosophers stone" Harry whispered.

"Harry!" He heard Hermione call as she came running back with everyone else.

"Oh, it's you, Ronan," said Hagrid in relief.

Hermione ran down to Harry and captured him in an almost bone-crushing hug.

"Harry Grindelwald" Ronan said "This is where I leave you, you are safe now, good luck," Ronan said and walked away.

A/N I'm back with another chapter, exactly 1001 words. As it is right now I find myself too busy with school to do much writing, but I will try and make a new schedule for updates soon. On another note, I have also posted the story I teased a bit about last time, its called 'Harry Potter and The Empire' and I hope you'll give it a look.

Q