11.

(This is when the book is going to start to drift from the storyline of the movie even more, just a warning haha)

~Louisa~

"You can do it, Louisa..." I mutter to myself.

I do a bit of a pep talk as I look down the vent.

I take in a deep breath, before carefully lowering the magnetic wire down.

The end connects with the key card and I hold my breath as I pull up the wire a tiny bit. I let out a relieved sigh when the card sticks to the end, like I had planned.

I start slowly pulling it up, back into the vent with me. I make a habit of looking down the halls as the key card comes closer and nearly scream when a hand reaches out and grabs it. I quickly cover my mouth with my hand and hope that the DPC officer doesn't create a large commotion and ruin all Blake and I's plans.

I look down the gaps in the vent intently and look into the eyes of the guard. They were a familiar ocean blue hue.

"Blake?" I ask quietly.

He looks down both ways of the corridor and nods.

"Be careful, I'll find you." He murmurs out a whisper.

He releases the key card and I quickly pull it all the way up and hold it firmly in my hands.

"I'll meet you in the control room, okay?" He confirms in a hush.

"I love you." I reply so he knows I heard him.

"I love you, Louisa." He answers and walks away swiftly, with an air of confidence that only he could perfect and hold while in this situation.

With the key card tightly held back in my hand, I turn around and start crawling toward where the control room is located. I tried to be as stealthy but efficient as I could.

Fairly soon after splitting from Blake, I found the opening to the computer room where, hopefully, all the answers lie.

I open the vent and quietly hop down to the hard floor. I walk down the hall and finally spot the door I needed. I slip into the room and go up to the main computer. I swipe the admin card and am faced with a log in screen.

"Shit." I mutter frustrated. "What do I do? What do I do!"

I look around the room full of electrical equipment and glance above me. I spot a security camera and smile.

Kellan. He could help.

I open up the messenger on the computer and search for Kellan. I quickly type out my distress call.

I need your help ASAP! I need the surveillance footage from the Control Room. I need Mason King's password. -Lou

I press send and anxiously wait until it changes from Kellan is offline to online.

"Please, please, please." I chant quietly.

Here. -Kellan

Click to see attachment

I click the video and watch closely for which letters King presses and hold in my happiness when I can perfectly see his password.

I replicate King's movements and successfully log into his account. I find the results easily and search up Laina and Corrine's names.

PASS and PASS. Thankfully, this meant they were both definitely safe.

I then search my own name and find FAIL. I look at my percentage and see a large red 94%.

"What is going on?" I mumble.

I find Blake after and see 81% PASS.

"He lied to me..." I state shocked.

"Lou?" I hear a voice call out softly.

"You lied to me." I repeat but address him.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"Blake, you passed." I confirm and point toward the computer.

He comes up to me and wraps his arms around me, pulling me close.

"I thought I was going to fail..." He replies. "I guessed for almost all of the multiple choice questions."

"Maybe your subconscious wanted you to listen to me and not go through with your idiotic plan." I sigh with relief, but also fear.

"Or maybe fate wanted to assure that we'd still be together and knew that the reversal of me passing and you failing would lead us to exposing this shitty system." He retorts trying to lighten the situation.

"I passed." I add and pull the screen up next to the one with his results.

"94%, I'm really proud of you, but more importantly, we need to fix this."

"There's one person I didn't look up yet..." I trail off and start typing the name.

Ellie Harper 88% FAIL.

"I can't believe that bastard!" Blake yells out, releasing me and punches the wall.

"Blake, shush. We can't get caught." I stumble over my words as tears collect in my eyes.

The Thinning sure did know how to change a kid's mood as quick as a snap.

"How are we going to end this?" Blake exclaims with venom.

"I'm screenshoting it and sending it to Kellan. He'll know who to send it to." I declare.

I do just that and then log out of King's account.

"We need to get out of here." I say.

"They're still after us." Blake points out.

"You're still wearing the uniform, what if you pretend the governor wants me out of the school?" I suggest.

"That could work, let's go!" Blake answers and grabs my hand.

We run into the hall and hide from a DPC officer rounding the corner.

"I'm going to grab onto you, if I'm ever hurting you, just squeeze my hand. Okay?" Blake reassures.

I nod and take a deep breath as Blake puts on his mask and grabs me around the waist. For the first time, this action is cold and harsh instead of a loving embrace. He holds my arms and hands against me and his strength, although he isn't trying hard, is enough that I can no longer move those limbs.

"Is this alright?" He frets.

"I'm fine, let's go." I respond with urgency. "We have people to save."

***

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated!

It was marks cut off last week and I've volunteering for my school a bunch recently!

Also, I was accepted into the only university I applied to!!

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy! Haven't heard much from the readers of this story haha!

Thanks for reading, voting, commenting and following!! <3