BH 18

The song Whatcha think about that, played into my ears. I hadn’t heard this song in a long time, and knew all the words. Kicking the dust under my black boots, snapping my fingers. Getting twice as many looks, as I bobbed my head dancing to the music only I heard. Men whistled as I shook my ass, giggling as I kept walking. Shuffling my feet kicking up more dirt, as they solo of Missy Elliot.

    “Tonight you gon' call me
A thousand times
Tonight I'm gon' make up
A thousand lies”

“Okay, hold up, watchu think about that?
You wear the dress and I put on your slacks
Tonight, I'm going out and ain't coming back
You ain't get no more pussycat
See me in the club I'm out with my girls
Do like you do when you out with them dudes
Up in the club it's just me and my girls
Play like Katy Perry kissing on girls
Now, you can't eat or sleep and now
You in the house thinking 'bout me and now
I do what you do and me and now
I love to see you, baby”

The looks I was getting made me sing louder, dance hard and just act as crazy as possible. Making it out of the town, I sighed feeling thirty. Swigging the last of my water, pushing the empty bottle into my bag. With the warm breeze blowing past my cheeks, I inhaled the sweet smell of clean air. So very different from the over populated city. The heat from the sun as it started to color my skin. House after house I finally started seeing more fields then closely knitted houses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now here I am the smoke from my cigarette, blowing away with the breeze. As I get closer to my destination, how I’ve waited for this one moment.

~Dalton’s POV~

The heat was wicked hear as I shoveled out the horse boxes, turning the tractor on. I shouldn’t of worn a black shirt today, pulling it off. Draping the heat attracting garment on a stall door. Daisy is gunna have a field day with this, groaning. I really wish that woman would get a hint. Her father is the owner, and I work for him. Even if she was remotely something I was interested in, I wouldn’t do anything.

    She’s more of a hassle then anything else, always using her daddy as a way to get me to do things for her. This was the only other job, without going further north. With all the cows feed, and the horses groomed I had seriously taken a step down from my once glamorous life. Nights became the worst, as she would appear in my dreams. Haunting my very soul, the smell of her would sometimes flutter past me.

    Daisy had tons of bird feeders, and the yellow ones would always catch my eyes. Ray really liked them, she had said they were free. It seemed after all that I had been through, those yellow birds were everywhere I was. Was I suppose to believe she’d become one. Some would say it was her spirit flying freely, keeping an eye on me. For me it was a nice thought, but what the hell do I know.
    Tossing bales of hay, into the loft the sound of Daisy ringing in my ears. Another groan as she comes looking for me.

    “Dalton, there you are” Her eyes fluttering like a bats wings. Looking all over me, her eyes feel like scorpion stings. Doing nothing for me, as her tongue licks her lips. Seriously girly find another toy.
    “What can I help you with Miss Daisy?” Not really wanting to ask.

    “Daddy wants the saddles cleaned and moved to the other barn.” Smiling like a liar.
    “Sure thing” Nodding as I go back to stacking hay. Since I have nothing else to talk about, I leave her when I’m done. The heat gets to her, and luckily for me she leaves. Grabbing my water bottle sucking down the last few drops, before filling it back up with the hose. Dumping load after load, before heading to the tack room. Pulling out each saddle cleaning them off. Letting the barn air dry them before moving to the other barn, I start tossing hay to the cows.

    The dogs start barking, but there isn’t a sound or dirt kicking up on the driveway. They must of see a bunny. Continuing with my work, heading back into the barn, grabbing the first saddle. Heading out Daisy is back. Doesn’t this woman understand the silent words of rejection. My mind smiles thinking Ray would of caught on right away. She was good about picking up on things like that. Her thoughts fly away as Daisy’s shrill voice rips happy images away.

    “Dalton…ohh Dalton daddy wants you to take care of the hay loft” Her bright smile incensed by the horrible pink thing. Nodding I continue, but her frown tells me this isn’t enough for her. Growling from deep within, I swear I have to talk to her father about this. A man can only take so much, before he snaps. Her white heels click off the porch, headed right for me. Does she understand that this saddle isn’t light. Adjusting my hat, as the sun has shifted a bit.