Article: The Role of Poetry in Modern Society?

In a dark and unforgiving world, poetry is the last thing modern society is prioritising or considering as part of our day to day or week to week thoughts, discussions and concerns. Many would argue that poetry as a method of social and emotional expressionism is dead in this 21st century world and that it is archaic and devoid of practical purpose. Yet, we writers and appreciators of literature know differently.

"Poetry is the rhythmical expression of beauty in words" and how right Edgar Allen Poe was!  Not only that but we can learn so much from it. From societal expectations from an historical point of view right down to psychological and philosophical matters, poetry is an open book to understanding life, culture, emotion and human nature as a whole. Those who share this view often agree that the problem in sustaining poetry as a pillar of heritage, appreciated literature and emotional expressionism is the way that poetry is taught in schools all over the world. Notoriously poetry is a subject that so many students loathe which may often be deemed to be because of the fact that either the language is too impenetrable or due to  the stereotypes which the study and love of poetry connotes. Evidentially, the teaching of poetry needs to spark inspiration in young minds to ensure that we are breeding and encouraging the next generation of young poets and appreciators of poetry. It is this lack of inspiration in the young that leaves the future of poetry uncertain and it is for this reason that I urge the many young writers that so often ask me to review their work to keep it up and encourage others to join you in your hobby and quest for poetic perfection!

These are the reasons why this platform is so wonderful, in it's encouragement and nurturing of young writers, in creating a community in which one can learn one's craft and allow their talents to flourish! Thank you Wattpad and long may this collection of creativity continue!