Chapter Fifteen

"Can I go outside? I miss the wind on my face." I ask messing with my hair.

He shakes his head, "No. I can't trust you."

I look down, "I've been with you for almost three months now and I haven't run away. Please let me go outside Chris."

He sighs, "Fine. How could I say no to you?"

I perk up, "Thank you, Chris."

He rolls his eyes and stands up, "Come on Emma."

I almost laugh, he still thinks my name is Emma. I've grown to hate that name.

I stand up and I follow him out of the house. I smile, we are in the middle of a forest in the middle of the night. He sighs pulling his clothes off, "I have some rules. If you fall behind I'll kill you. If you howl at any point, I'll kill you. If you close your mind at any point, I'll kill you."

"I-ii-i don't know how to open my mind."

"Just think of me." He says shifting. 

I take my clothes off and I shift. Two shifts in one day feels amazing.

'Lets go.' He begins running.

I can't help but be happy. I run fast enough to keep up but not fast enough to show that I'm faster than him. 

I jump over a log and I decide this is my chance. I jump over Chris and I begin running at full speed. 

'Goodbye Chris.' I say shutting off the connection in my mind between us. I've been practicing my mind stuff the last two months, so I've gotten pretty okay at it.

I hear howling behind me, that just makes me run faster. I don't stop until I reach the edge of the forest. I stop and I read the sign. Wait, what's the chance? I live in this forest. 

I turn around and I run back through the forest. The smell of wolf enters my nose but I don't stop running. It's not Chris's smell, and it's strong. I take another deep breath, Chris is still behind me.

I almost shit myself when the Blood Moon's packhouse comes into view but I don't stop running. I run straight past their front door. Almost twenty wolves run out of the packhouse towards me. 

Even though I start to get tired I don't stop. I'm dead if I stop.

I push myself off of a tree making myself faster. The smell of wolf follows me. I hear growls, howls, and thumping from behind me. I need to getaway. I need to get home.

The smell of water calms me a bit. My river, oh how I miss my river.

I get cornered in between three large rocks. I turn around and I begin growling and snapping. I'm not get killed today and I'm not going back to Chris. 

All of the wolves stop about six feet away. They are all growling, some pawing at the ground. They all are waiting for the next move but I don't have one. I'm stuck

I look around for a way to escape but there isn't one. I'm stuck, just like when I was in that basement.

I shift back into a human and I drop to the ground. I take a deep breath, in this moment the only thing I can think of is The End by Linkin Park.

Kale shifts and runs over to me, "Skyler! You're alive!"

 I watch as everyone begins shifting. I search for Chris but he isn't in the group of wolfs but I can still smell him. One of Kale's men hands him a pair of black pants and a shirt. He throws the pants on and Kale hands me a green baggy shirt, "I missed you Skyler."

I throw it on and I stand up on my tippy toes hugging Kale.

"I'm dead aren't I?" I ask whispering in his ear.

He shakes his head, "No. They won't touch you Skyler."

He picks me up and carries me all the way back to his packhouse as I sob uncontrollably into his bare chest.