Beauty and the Beast

((Sorry I haven't been updating recently. School has been keeping me pretty busy. I got a few comments to write more about monster Tom, so here you go! I hope you guys enjoy!))

Matt's footsteps echoed as he walked through the very lower floor of the containment facility.
Red Leader had sent him to be the manager of this association ever since the nuclear blast that happened in one of the Red Army's past battles wiped out a lot of their soldiers.
Though, some of the soldiers didn't die. They just...changed.
This building was made so they could research the effects of chemicals on different organisms. Here, the scientists worked on projects like cloning and fusing humans and other animals, making 'super humans', and reversing the effects of harmful chemicals.
Rumours always went around that a lot of humans and animals died here, which Matt agreed with, but they all died in the name of science. So the experiments couldn't be considered unethical, right?
Society needed this type of information, whether they knew it or not.
Matt knew that he needed the information. Specifically the information on how to reverse the effects of harmful chemicals.
Long long ago, before he even knew what the Red Army was, his significant other Tom was injected with a serum that would make him turn into a monster at odd times.
By the time they both joined the Red Army, Tom was able to control when and where he transformed. Over the years, that ability took a turn for the worst.
Tom wasn't able to turn back after he transformed. He became stuck in his beastly form.
Matt had dedicated his life towards finding an antidote for the monster serum ever since.
He reached the room where Tom was being contained and stood in front of the metal door, exhaling loudly.
Every time he went into this room, his heart broke.
The red head entered the secret code, and the heavy door slid open easily. He walked into the room and the door shut behind him, making a loud click noise so he knew that it was locked.
Normally no one wanted to enter this room. It was under the highest security, and anyone sane wouldn't like the idea of being locked in a room with a monster.
Matt however, didn't care. Tom wasn't a monster in his eyes.
In the room there was a table filled with papers. This was where Matt wrote down his observations. Then, there was the control panel, which could control the doors and lights in the room.
Matt spent most of his time alone here.
He walked up to the big metal wall that separated Tom from his working area. There was a window where he could see into the other side of the wall, where Tom was.
The monster was curled up in a corner, fast asleep on the hard floor. A small smile pulled at the corners of Matt's mouth.
He unlocked the door that lead into the containment area, and walked inside.
"Morning, my sunshine," he said to Tom.
The monster stirred in his sleep, its tail swishing around.
"Today is the day!" Matt spoke excitedly. "I finally found a cure! Isn't that great?"
The monster opened its one black eye, dark as charcoal, and stared at Matt.
"You can finally go back to normal!" Matt said again.
Of course, the monster didn't speak. It just gazed at the man with its piercing, soulless eye, not moving. This action sent a shiver up Matt's spine, which he ignored.
He took out a large needle filled with a yellow substance.
The monster tilted its head curiously.
"Whats this? Oh, it's just the antidote that is going to save your life." Matt stated. "Hopefully..." he added shortly after.
Matt stepped towards Tom confidently, but he growled loudly, which made Matt stop dead in his tracks.
Tom did mention something about being afraid of needles back when he was normal. Matt was sure that constantly poking and prodding at the monster only made him more afraid.
He felt a pang of guilt in his chest.
All the past attempts at trying to save Tom had always done nothing, or ended badly. What if Tom thought Matt was only trying to hurt him?
He wasn't even sure if Tom even remembered who he was anymore.
Every single day Tom slipped away more and more. It hurt Matt to think that the love of his life probably didn't know him.
Instead of continuing with his actions, Matt just sighed and sat down slowly in front of Tom.
Being this close to Tom would probably be considered dangerous, but Matt wasn't afraid.
Tom was chained up, and he believed that deep down, he was still there. And Tom  wouldn't hurt him on purpose.
The red head gazed into the monster's eye, and for a moment he swore he saw a gleam of emotion.
"I know this hurts you," Matt spoke quietly, putting the needle down beside him.
"And I know that you're scared...but right now, I need you to trust me. I know you're in there somewhere, Tom." He said, tears stinging in his eyes.
"I know that you want to be saved. I promise you, you'll be just fine."
Matt cautiously reached for the needle and stood up, walking towards Tom again.
Once he was as close to the monster as he could get, he raised up the needle to inject it.
Tom growled, and tried to scoot away from Matt.
"Hey, hey, it's okay. You're okay..." Matt said in a soothing voice, carefully patting Tom on the head.
The monster rubbed against him, its heavy breathing calming down, and it's eye closing.
Matt put the needle out of sight and got to his knees, petting Tom softly.
Tom moved closer to Matt, putting his large head on his lap.
"So you do remember me, don't you?" Matt asked him quietly.
He smiled and stayed there for a while, cuddling with the large beast and listening to his soft breathing.
After a while, he reached for his needle again, and quickly jabbed it into Tom's arm.
The monster cried out in pain, jerking away from Matt and crawling into his corner again.
A foul smell filled the room and the skin where Matt had injected the needle into began to fade to Tom's normal skin colour.
"Yes!! It's working!!" Matt exclaimed happily.
The monster was getting smaller, and the cries of pain were starting to sound more human. His horns receded back into his head, and his tail stated to shrink and disappear.
When Matt got closer his smile fell as he realized that Tom's skin where he was injected was starting to fester.
Tom was having an allergic reaction.
The human now sat in the corner, crying and rubbing his arm.
If Matt didn't act fast, the infection would spread and the reaction would only get worse.
Luckily, he was smart enough to consider the possibility that Tom would have an allergy to the antidote  (Because it had happened many times before).
"Hold on Tom! I'll be right back!!" Matt shouted.
He always kept stabilizers under his desk just in case this ever happened.
The man ran out of the room and quickly opened the case under the desk. He got a new needle and filled it with the stabilizer before running back to Tom.
When he approached his lover, he only saw that the infection was spreading more. Tom's arms were covered in large red welts, and he looked like he couldn't breathe.
Matt bent down and injected Tom with the stabilizer, waiting for it to take effect.
Tom stopped thrashing around, and his labored breathing paused.
Matt gulped. "No, no, no...! Tom..!" He whimpered.
Tom coughed, looking up at Matt hazily.
"H-Hi Matt..." he said softly. His eyelids drooped down and he went limp.
"T-Tom..?" Matt asked.
He checked for a pulse that wasn't there.
Tears rushed down his face, and he let out choked sobs.
"Tom..! TOM!!!" He screamed.
All these years he had worked so hard to find an antidote only to lose his lover...his best friend.
"I'll KILL whoever put this-this monster plague on you!! I'LL KILL HIM!!!" Matt yelled as he held Tom's dead body.
"I promise you!"