Sugar and Spice And Everything Nice

Within minutes of stepping off the plane in Mumbai, a sheen of sweat covered Amy’s forehead. New York was so much cooler. Here, you wouldn’t even believe it was winter!

“Tardeo, bhaiyya (brother).” She said as she got into the taxi.

“Five hundred.” The driver named his price.

Bhaisahab, I’m from Mumbai only. Quit trying to make a fool out of your own people. Get the meter running, aur Tardeo leke chalo (take me to Tardeo).” On realizing there was no way he could con Amy, the driver grumpily put the car into gear and pulled away from the airport. Amy wasn’t surprised by his behavior. With her fair coloring and the light accent, most people wouldn’t believe she was from India. But Mumbai was the one place apart from NYU where Amy felt at home. As she settled back into the squishy seat, Amy thought back to the phone call she had got some days back.

Amy was just exiting the club where the NYU seniors were partying post exams when her phone started ringing. Recognizing her Father’s caller tune, she excused herself to pick it up. When you’ve spent almost three years away from your family, you tend to get excited when they call. But Amy wasn’t excited. She was anxious. Because she knew her father always checked the time zone difference before calling. And he wouldn’t call so late unless it was urgent.

“Pappa (Dad)?”

“Amu, listen carefully. You’ve got to start packing up. I’m sending you tickets for a flight.”

“I’m coming home? But the year will be ending in just a month or two.”

“It’s Grandpa. He’s-”

That was all it took for her to say, “I’m coming.”

Hey everyone! This is one work I've been dying to write. It's a cutesy book about family ties and love and growing up and standing up for what you think is right, harhar. Yes, it's a little on the emotional side, give it a chance tho :)