Don't You Have A Room?

After about a week of nights spent on the terrace restlessly, Amy thought it fit to raise the topic of the bakery at lunch. As the whole family sat around the dining table after dessert, she ventured.

“Tehmasp Uncle, who’s inherited the bakery?”

Tehmasp Uncle took a deep breath mentally. He knew this was coming. “The will hasn’t had an official reading yet.”

“True, but I’m sure Gramps discussed this with you all before…” She didn’t want to say before he died.

“He has.”

“Ames, baby don’t you think this can wait?” Her father butted in.

“Dad, let’s not beat around the bush. The bakery has been shut for far too long now. I spoke to Saras.”

“Who are you to tell us elders anything about running the bakery? Amthi amthi smart banech! (Just trying to act smart!)” Tehmasp Uncle erupted.

“Uncle, hu smart natthi banva maangti (I’m not trying to act smart). I just wanted to know who’s got it, and if you’re planning to start sitting at the bakery like Bapavaji or what?” She felt someone kick her under the table. She looked up. Jehan was flashing her warning signals with her eyes. She realized the situation might just erupt, so she kept quiet. No one at the table said anything more.

But Amy wasn’t one to give up easily. That night after dinner, she went into Tehmasp Uncle’s room and tried to talk to him again.

Jo, dikra (Look, child) you and I both know that I’ve inherited the bakery. Bapavaji did want to give it to your father, because then you’d get it in the long run. But everyone realized you’ll be in New York and that wouldn’t do. So we decided I’d take care of the bakery.”

“So why aren’t you sitting there? It’s been shut for so long!”

“It’s not really feasible, Amy.”

“What do you mean it’s not feasible? We’ve had it for years! It’s such a famous bakery! Of course it’s feasible!”

“The business is dying. You weren’t here these last few years, Amy. You don’t know what’s been happening. Workers have been going away, the customers have become lesser, the profits were dropping.”

“So? It’s a family thing, Uncle! We have to keep it running!”

Tehmasp Uncle wisely remained quiet until the truth sunk in.

“You’re selling it, aren’t you.” It wasn’t a question.

“It’s not a feasible business anymore, Ames. And I’m growing old.”

“But you’re selling the bakery! That’s like selling a family heirloom!”

“I’m actually renting it out.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“I’m growing old, Ames. Your father is going to move back to New York in some time with you. And Kerman already has his law firm.”

“So you’re giving away something the family has had for generations because you’re lazy?”

“Don’t talk like that to me! It’s not like you children are helping anyway! Zahaan is already working; he won’t leave his job for the bakery. Jehan can’t run a business to save his life. Farrah and Karen aren’t interested in, and I’m quoting, ‘sitting in a shop and exchanging bread for money’, and let’s face it Amy, you’re trotting off to New York. Who’s going to look after it when I’m gone, huh?”

She remained silent. There was nothing she could say to that, because in her heart of hearts, she knew Tehmasp was right. All she could muster was, “I still think there is a way.”

And then she walked out of the room, her mind even more tumultuous.

Again, her virtually sleepless night was spent on the terrace in thought. She knew she couldn’t do anything about the bakery while she was in New York. Zahaan was already successful in his job; he wouldn’t leave it. And Uncle was right about Jeh not being able to run a business to save his life. She remembered as a kid whenever Gramps used to leave Jehan on the counter for even a little while, he used to hand out freebies to the little kids whose parents used to not give in to their requests for an extra mava cake or pudding. Jehan was always a softie inside, she smiled. And Gramps used to mildly scold him but never yell at him for handing out freebies, because he knew that was essentially what Jehan was. But you can’t run a business if you’re so soft that you hand out freebies to everyone who can’t or won’t pay. She immersed herself in these thoughts, and kept repeating Grandpa’s words in her head - Think Amy, there is always a way.

She kept turning the situation over in her mind, searching for a loophole, a tiny ray of hope, a small place where she could put in some support so that the entire situation wasn’t as hopeless as it seemed to her right now. But she found none. Dawn came, and Amy was still thinking. And as yet, there was no way.

“Ames?” She woke up with a start, only to realize she’d dozed off in the armchair she was sitting in all night. Groggily, she rubbed her eyes in the early morning light to look at the person who’d done the waking.

“Dad? What are you doing up here?”

“Just wanted some fresh air. Thought I could do with some exercise. Sheila tells me I’m putting on weight.” He muttered. She giggled; her mother was always trying to get Dad to be more active and fit, all in vain. “What are you doing up here?”

“I just came up at night. Dozed off.”

“You came up here to doze? What do you have a room for?” He looked at her disapprovingly.

“I wasn’t getting sleep. I must’ve dozed off an hour or two ago.”

“Missing you Gramps?” He smiled.

“Yeah. And the bakery.”

“Aahh.” He smiled knowingly. “You don’t want it to go to the dumps, do you?”

“How can all of you be fine with this?”

“Ames, there’s a reason we’re planning on shutting it down.”

“Yeah I know. Tehmasp Uncle told me all.”

“Did he tell you the real reason?”

“He’s ‘getting old’.” She said sarcastically.

“That’s not all. Do you really think your uncle would shut down the bakery that meant so much to Grandpa just because he’s getting old?” Amy noticed the disappointment in her father’s eyes and realized she’d been too quick to judge Tehmasp Uncle.

“Then what is it, Dad? The real reason?”

Hiiiiiiiii lovely person reading this XD Sorry for the cliffy. Vote for more, and vote for a cupcake :D