Make Out With Me?

Dedicated to Sadaf because

1. Cute guy ;)

2. Mumbai

3. She's cool XD

He’s a man of his word, Amy thought as she saw Eric walk in with a bunch of friends.

As an afterthought, her mind added, a really attractive man of his words. God, would you LOOK at that piece of work? God must have made him while on holiday.

Shut up, kinky thoughts. Shut up! Amy chided, and smiled at Eric, trying to look like she hadn’t just thought of him as a beautiful piece of work.

Ah, what would life be without inner thoughts?

“Hey Amy.” He smiled and waved. A few of his friends looked over at her, and kept looking over after that, nudging him, teasing him. Amy shook her head, smiling. Boys.

Hungry boys, actually, her mind corrected. Indeed, they ate like they had just called off a life-long fast. She saw as an entire plate full of mava cakes, tarts, buns, donuts, and practically anything else on display was dumped on the table around which the six or seven boys were seated. She thanked god Eric had walked into Sugar And Spice, because finally something was looking up for her.

After they were done, Eric came up to settle the bill.

“Thanks for coming.” She smiled. “And bringing them all.”

“I stick to my word.” He grinned his grin.

“Yeah, it’s nice to have so many people in here finally. Somewhat like old times.”

He detected a pang of weariness and looked at the pretty girl carefully. “Not many people come in here now, do they?”

“It’ll take some time to… pick up.” She said, her voice going from unsure to firm. He liked the fact that she believed in this. It was attractive to him, a girl with beliefs and steadfastness.

“We’ll be coming back.” He grinned. He could use a lot more of Amy.

“Please do. Bring the whole area with you next time.” She chuckled.

“I’ll try my best. Anything for a pretty girl.” He winked.

Don’t blush Amy, don’t blush. Hold on to your womanly strength. Don’t make it easy for the guy, don’t blush!

“Oi Eric! You going to get a grip and stop flirting or what?” One of his friends called. All the boys laughed. Eric rolled his eyes, turned around and flipped them off. They hooted at him and whistled. Amy couldn’t help but smile at their gregarious, easygoing, open nature.

“I’ll see you around.” He grinned and took his change, leaving in his wake an extremely hopeful Amy.

As time passed, Amy settled into the regular routine that she had seen her Grandfather perform every day for as long as he lived. Sometimes when she had the time, she Skyped her Mum, Dad and friends back home.  She even messaged Vi occasionally.

Every day, Eric made an appearance. Every day, Eric took something or the other from the bakery. And every Sunday, the entire gang of his friends would come over, giving the bakery a whole new life, and giving the drawer some bills. The place seemed to lighten up with their senseless jokes, endless jibes and harmless flirting and teasing.

Amy wondered if he used to come daily when Gramps ran the place too, or whether it was just for her. As selfish as that sounded, she wanted it to be the latter.

Amy knew now which college he went to (Wilson’s), where he lived (a five minute walk from the bakery), what he was studying (Mass media), how old he was (a year older to her), which was his favorite cake flavor (strawberry and cheesecake, NOT chocolate), what he liked to eat (the chicken burger and fries, that junk food loving pig!), his favorite drink (Cold coffee, with double the regular dosage of coffee, sugar and cream) and his favorite movies (comedies and horror).

Every day she got to know a little tit bit of information about Eric, and every day she found him a little more attractive.

As for the bakery, it had started getting back its old clientele, and people had started coming in again. It was almost like old times.

A few months into the start of the bakery, Eric was on his regular morning round. He came in, took his food, and stayed around to talk to Amy. They’d settled into that pattern now.

“By the way, tomorrow this girl might come around to talk to you about the bakery.” He ventured suddenly.

Amy frowned. “What do you mean?”

“Oh she just wants to do a story on the bakery.”

“You mean like an article? For a paper?”

“Times Of India, actually.” He grinned.

“That is the most popular paper! Did you do this?” She lit up, because she knew how much the publicity would help.

“I’m interning there for the summer. I thought about doing this as my article. They approved.”

“Can I please tell you how much in debt I am? It would be awesome for the bakery to get featured! Everyone will know that it’s back! Seriously, thank you so much! Today’s cake is free. Just take it. Thank you so so so much!” She kept going on about it.

He chuckled at her enthusiasm. “Actually, I’ll pay for the cake. You can thank me in another way.”

She looked confused. “Well, how?”

“Make out with me?” He raised his eyebrows and gave a hopeful expression. Amy just burst out laughing. She was far too used to his flirting by now.

“Take the cake. It’s free.” She shook her head at him.

“Okay, okay I was just joking! But really, there is something you can do for me as a thank you.”

“Nothing involving physical contact.”

“Am I the only one who notices that when you give me back my change, you’re touching me, which is physical contact?”

She rolled her eyes. “Seriously, what can I do to thank you?”

“Go out with me.”

She blinked once. Twice. “What?”

“Oh damn, is that a no, because that will be seriously embarrassing.” He started looking everywhere else but her.

“No! I mean, yeah! I mean, no to the second question, and yes to going out with you.” She blushed.

He looked back at her, his eyes bright with excitement. “YEAH!” He fistpumped. “Can I get your number, then? I’ll let you know when we’re going.”

She gave him her number, and after a little more small talk, he left. Amy was still pink from the encounter.

At that minute, Saras came in from the back room.

Baba chala gaya? (Has the boy gone?)” He asked Amy.

Haan. (Yes.)” The mention of Eric got her pink again.

Tum bahut khush lag rahe ho? (You look very happy?)” He hid a smile and raised an eyebrow. He may not have understood much English, but Saras could see that Amy and the young boy was a thing just waiting to happen.

Haan. Khush hu main. (Yes, I’m happy.)”

Achha ladka hain. (He’s a good boy.)”

KYA?! (WHAT?!)” Amy’s head snapped up, and her shade of pink doubled in darkness.

Hum buddhe hain. Humari aakhein shayad kamzor hogi, magar humein bahut kuchh dikhta hain, beta. (I’m old, and my eyes may be weak, but I can still see a lot.)” He smiled fondly at the girl, who he thought of as his own.

Amy smiled back. “Thank you, Saras Dada. Mujhe bhi achha laga. (Even I think he’s nice.)”

Woh toh dikh raha hain. (That’s clearly visible.)” He chuckled, shook his head, and went back to arranging cakes, musing about how nice it was to be young and have crushes.

Hi there XD

Be a darling and vote and comment?

Thanks, Hera