Chapter Five

I couldn’t believe that I told Gemma what actually happened to me. Once I was done telling her everything, I looked at her face. Her expression was one that I’d never seen from anyone before: It showed compassion. At that moment, I was glad that I trusted her with my secret. She engulfed me in a hug, and together we cried. I felt my phone vibrating and I just ignored it. When she pulled away, she sniffled and looked at me.

“I can’t believe he did that to you. And your mother, what did she do about it?” Gemma asked.

“Nothing,” I replied.

Her eyes widened and she said, “I am so sorry. Why didn’t you tell anyone?”

“I was too scared,” I admitted.

“Scared of people knowing?” She asked.

“Just scared of what people would think of me. And I was scared that Steve would kill me.” I whispered.

“Ariella, I know you’re not going to like this, but I think you should tell someone else,” Gemma said.

“There’s no way I’m telling Edward,” I said.

“Well maybe you should tell Harry and the other boys…” Gemma suggested.

“No, they’ll think I’m even more of a freak. Besides, you swore you wouldn’t tell anyone!” I told her.

“I know, but Ariella, I think you should tell Harry so maybe he won’t treat you as badly – ”

“So you’re telling me that I should tell him to make him feel sorry for me?” I was offended.

“No, I’m just saying maybe he’d be more willing to be your friend because he would be nicer if he knew you had such a rough life.” Gemma said.

“I’m not a charity case,” I said.

“I understand, but – “

“No, you don’t understand! You haven’t and will never have to go through that type of abuse because you have a father that cares! No one was ever there for me. No one cared when I was being beaten to death! No one cared when my step dad smashed my head into a mirror! No one cares, not then and not now…” My voice dropped down to a hysterical whisper. I slid down the wall and put my arms around my knees and hung my head down low.

My body shook with each sob that came from me. I didn’t notice when Gemma sat down beside me. She patted my shoulder and then said, “I care.”

It only took those two words to convince me that she was telling the truth. I looked at her and whispered, “Thank you.”

Suddenly, Edward bust through Gemma’s door and asked, “What was all that yelling about?!”

“It’s nothing, Dad,” Gemma said.

When his eyes laid on me, they immediately softened.