Underground

Fred POV

I never knew how big Bovington is until I made my way downtown.

Astonishingly, nobody paid any attention to me despite the controversy I was causing. I still kept myself hidden, just in case someone didn't like me very well. I may not know what I'll do after I leave this town, but it's better than being ridiculed. When I finally made it, though I instantly felt overwhelmed.

The first time I ventured here was with Jack when he was told to take care of me. Granted I was in the car, I barely paid any attention to the buildings. Same could be said for my day out with Hector, as I was having so much fun it didn't matter to me. Although, I did enjoy the view from some of the taller ones.

However, this was dusk. This is a time where the world of civility is replaced by something totally different. The buildings were darkened with small dots of light appearing here and there, nothing but shadows against the moonlight. Some of the smaller shops were still open, probably hoping to get some extra customers. The creepiest part of it by far is what happens at this time: crimes and practices that are best kept out of the public eye. It scared me, but I had to work through it.

I'm now in an alleyway in between two smaller buildings, probably apartment complexes. I'm not too deep in, which would explain the lack of towering skyscrapers. Still, I could see some in the distance, their lights acting as beacons. I'm starting to regret this a little, for more reasons than one. Other than the obvious, I could get caught by someone against me, then what? Furthermore, what would I do about food without money?

Who could I turn to? Lex and Hector are obvious outs, but what about Joana and Zyon? The fox might help in some way, but the coyote made me hesitant. He didn't seem to like me based on how he stared at me while I talked with his wife. Maybe he thinks differently now... Then again, I don't know where they live. Dammit! If I was really gonna go through this, I should've planned it out more.

Maybe I shouldn't do this. There are so many faults that I'd be dead within a week. What the hell was I thinking? I should've just wade it out like Jack suggested. I can't live on my own without someone to protect me. I'm a human in a world of animals- intelligent animals that have their own society! They could kill me so easily that it'd probably mean nothing! I can't do this on my own..I'm so pathetic that I can't even go through with running away. I have to go back...

"Hey!"

I froze at that, unaware that I wasn't alone in the passage. The voice sounded rough, and not the good kind. I turned back slowly, only seeing darkness ahead. I heard footsteps from there, soon taking the shape of something bipedal. I couldn't tell what it was until it came closer to me, which I recognized as a male fox.

Needless to say, he looked very shady. A trench coat covering most of his body, paws in his pockets. I could only see his disheveled orange fur on his muzzle and around his bare feet. He had greenish eyes that just stared at me in a creepy way. My heart was pounding and yelling for me to run, but my feet were frozen to the ground.

"You're that..human everyone's talking about.", he said in that same voice.

"Y-yeah...", damn my stuttering!

He gained an eerie smirk as he came closer, "What's wrong? I just wanna talk."

My legs finally willed themselves to move but in a random direction. I don't care, that fox just screamed bad news! My vision was constantly shifting, lights and colors whipping past me like I was flying through space. I could hear voices calling out, but I ignored them, wanting to just go back to Jack's house and rip up that stupid letter!