Heart

The search for Fred was already in full throttle, furs from the OSI and local police scouring the city for him. Lex, Hector, Jack, and Tom headed different sections while C spread the word to the media. He made sure to specify that if the human was spotted, the authorities be notified immediately. The coyote was experiencing a whirlwind of emotions that was becoming increasingly difficult to control.

One was anger at the protesters, as they're the ones who made Fred have those feelings of resentment. Another was disappointment towards the boy himself, as he should've had the common sense to know going out alone was dangerous. Then there was sorrow, knowing that all of this happened because he made the decision to reveal Fred to the public. He knew the risks but was confident that he could combat them. However, it is apparent now that he didn't see the human's worry in full view.

Meanwhile, Fred made interaction hard for the raccoon, named Xavier. He showed simple responses, such as nodding or shaking his head. However, he barely said a word since waking up in bed. Xavier tried to make small talk but was ultimately shut out. He knew the young boy had been through a lot last night, but silencing himself wouldn't do anything.

Not only that, but the raccoon's moral standings were conflicted. The boy was his target, so he had to follow through how he saw fit. He could keep him until his leg heals, but what happens next? Would he have a place to go? Would he even want to leave? The boy was obviously planning on running away, but the question was whether he had a set destination or not. It seemed to be the latter, judging by his previous actions.

Fred was currently sitting in bed with his leg still propped up, watching the TV with an empty expression. Xavier simply watched from the cracked open door, wondering what to do. He already knew mundane topics of conversation wouldn't work, so that left few options. The human seemed distant as if he simply gave up trying like nothing mattered anymore. The raccoon knew the feeling but wasn't ready to stop just yet. He decided to take a different approach and gently opened the door, making Fred briefly glanced at him before returning to the television.

"So, uh, Fred.", Xavier said nervously, knowing that he was about to tread on thin ice. The boy responded with a small "Hm?" while sending him a glance.

"I want to ask you something, but you might not like it. Do you still want to hear it?"

After receiving a nod, he took a short breath before asking, "Did you have a place to go when you were running away?"

The human instantly tensed at the question, his gaze fully on the lotor with emotions shifting through him. Xavier couldn't say he was surprised, as he half expected this reaction. Fred never appeared in town at all until he went out with the husky, which may have started the protests. Based on that, it was probable that he didn't have many other places- or furries, to go to. After a moment, he shook his head and lowered his gaze. Xavier took the chance and walked closer to the boy, running a hand over his back comfortingly.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, you can stay here.", he whispered, "I live little ways out of town, so nobody will find you."

To be honest, Fred didn't think about what he'd do after his leg heals. He felt completely drained after finding out the raccoon knew he was running away. He felt burned out, in a way. He wanted to finally make his own choice but just rushed without thinking it through. This was the end result: hurt and in the hands of a stranger, and now this stranger was offering his home as a form of refuge. The strange thing was, despite all these emotions, he needed someone to keep him up. He just couldn't go through it alone, and he hated that. Still, having a roof over his head was better than living on the street.

~~*~~

C was walking down the sidewalk towards his house. It was located in the rural part of town, similar to where Jack lived except it was a little closer to downtown. The moon shined the way as he strode slowly, eyes downcast as he tried to calm himself. The search went on all day, but with no luck finding Fred. They did get reports that he was running from a fox the night before but found nothing when they checked the alleyway. Everyone was worried about the human, even Zyon and Joana, despite only seeing him once. It showed just how much of an effect the boy had on those that interacted with him.

"C."

The coyote stopped in his tracks at the voice, sounding clouded but firm. He looked up to see a cloaked figure a few steps away from him, hidden in shadows but at least showing short ears standing up. Another thing that showed were the fiery orange eyes that belonged to the unknown furry. C growled silently as he instantly recognized the figure.

"What do you want?", he asked.

"I don't want anything.", the figure replied in that same voice, "I'm simply here to reassure you about the human."

His eyes widened at that, "What happened to him? Where is he?!"

"He is fine.", the figure said, "He's hurt, though, physically and emotionally. He doesn't want to return just yet, so I am keeping him in my care."

Anger turned to confusion, "Why are you keeping him? You're always going after those who are guilty of crimes."

Even through the shadows, C could've sworn he saw the figure smile, "He perplexes me."