Wallbuilding

After their rather unusual awakening, Xavier and Fred relaxed a little. While eating breakfast, they discussed how the human would work towards improving his confidence. He explained that when he was young, he humiliated himself in public, which caused him immense despair. Over time, he grew silent and reclusive, keeping to himself all the way up to this point. Xavier knew the feeling, not from experience but the conditions of his job. That aside, he needed to start Fred's confidence training while they could.

"Are you sure this will help?", the boy asked as he gazed at the mirror set in front of him.

"The first step to change is accepting your flaws .", the raccoon said firmly, "In order to accept it, you need closure."

"By talking to a mirror?"

The lotor snorted slightly, "I wouldn't call it talking to a mirror per say, but it's at least a way of getting through the first step. A wise furry once said 'we are our own worst enemy', meaning our own thoughts affect us more than others'. In your case, you absorbed the humiliation you suffered from the past into your own mind. So in order to get rid of it, you have to admit the problem to yourself and accept it."

Fred didn't think he had ever heard more powerful words. He remembered hearing that quote, but it never stood out. Looking at it with Xavier's definition, he saw truth in it. Ever since that moment in his youth, he thought that he'd be ridiculed everywhere he went. He despised that negative attention, so he cut himself off from the world. It wasn't until he came to this one that he began to change. The connections he's made and the furries he's met, he had them all to thank. So what would he be if he were to throw all of them away?

"What do I say?", he asked as he tightened his eyes onto the boy that stared back.

"I guess..whatever you want. It just has to be truthful and from your heart, like how you see yourself and who you want to become."

He nodded and closed his eyes for a second.

I will change, even if it means doing this to myself...

"You know what you are.", he said quietly, "You're a mess. A shriveled up, trembling little boy with nothing to hold onto. No matter where you go or what you do, you will always end up on your knees- begging for someone to help you up."

The boy shivered, not used to taking such insults from his own mouth.

"However, you can change it.", he smiled slightly, "You know it, you just haven't found the drive. It's not your fault, but part of it is. If you keep shutting yourself away, you won't have a shoulder to lean on, and the next time you fall down, no one will be there."

Astonishingly, he was able to keep himself to this point. Now to bring it home.

"Deep down you want to be yourself! You're just scared that they won't like it. You want friends and people to support you, but you won't have that if you keep doing this! It's time to stop. We can change it now, we can have a better life. We just have to accept who we are and work towards a better future..."

He trailed off, not knowing what to say next. Strangely, he felt relief from that. The boy half expected to feel pain and break down again, but it was the opposite. Sure, he still felt some small prick deep in his heart, but other than that he felt at ease with himself- just a little. When he looked in the mirror, he saw that his eyes were a little brighter. It was faint, but enough for him to see.

"How do you feel now?", Xavier asked, breaking him from his thoughts.

"...better, I guess.", he said.

He felt a hand on his shoulder, "Trust me. It might not seem important now, but it'll help in the long run."

Fred had to smile, as he felt the raccoon's words were true. Maybe it was their fluctuating relationship, or perhaps his weak nature taking hold of him. Whatever the reason, he felt the lotor could be trusted in a way- not as much as the other furries he met, but enough to at least believe his words.

~~*~~

Jack POV

I've been sitting in my room for most of the day now. My thoughts are completely centered towards Fred. I can't stop worrying about him no matter how hard I try. It's strange, though, as I know he's from a different world and yet I care about him as if he were from this one. It feels similar to my relationship with Tom. I may be his uncle, but he sometimes treats me as if I'm his father, and I do the same vice-versa.

Do I care about him on that level? It is possible since I did my best to help him through the protests prior to his disappearance. Maybe this is why I'm worried so much. I've grown an attachment to him, and as a result I don't want him to be alone. I also felt slight anger and disappointment towards the boy as well. He's still young, even though he's Tom's age, and has a lot of things to learn about society. I can tell that much just by looking at him, but it does bring up a very frightening question that I struggle to answer- even after everything that's happened so far.

Can he really face this world on his own?