Countdown

The next few days were a mix of joy, relief, and sadness. After an explanation and some tight hugs- courtesy of a certain dog, Fred took some time to relax with Jack and Tom. Hector and Lex tagged along as well, wanting to spend their time with the boy as his time ran out. He welcomed that, as it reassured him of his fate and future. Even so, however, he felt great pain- and the others did too.

    All throughout his time within the furry world, Fred was able to form bonds with those whose lives intertwined with his own. The feelings were mutual, of course. The furs were hesitant at first because of his origin, but gained insight to his personality. To them, he was a living being like themselves- not just a creature that deserves to be locked up. The human understood that this world was much like his own- not only in material things, but spiritual as well.

    From his introduction to Hector, he knew things could only go so well. Of course he had to be hidden, and the time would come when his identity would be revealed. However, he could never have expected such an effect. Protests, arguments, social media flare-ups. All of it was so unexpected, and yet he could've seen it coming.

    As stated before, the furry world is much like the human one. Fred may be young, but that doesn't mean he hasn't seen what humans have done to each other. Their history is paved in bloodshed and hatred, some still believing that one day the world could reach an impossible state of harmony. He believed that himself, and still does now.

Even as the days passed, a lingering wave passed over them all.

~~*~~

Jack POV

I knew from the start that Fred wouldn't be in our world for long. Since the tablet was what brought him here, finding a way back would be a cinch. Part of me felt a connection to him, almost like a son or nephew. I was torn between the two because I felt like he was both! I could tell he grew stronger thanks to Striker, as his nervousness nearly disappeared completely. I'm glad to see that Fred overcame his anxiety to a point.

    Tom was sad that he had to go as well. They got along great since they were both teens and had similar interests. I could tell Tom didn't want him to go, but he kept a smile on his muzzle knowing that he's alright. We'll both miss him, but overall it's for the best.

I know it, and I'm sure Fred does too.

~~*~~

Hector POV

    I know I didn't have the best impression on Fred when we met, but I was lucky enough to change that. At first, I only saw him as a danger to society that needed to be investigated, but it was my own dominant nature that made me think that way. Lex and I are pretty much a dynamic duo, polar opposites that work well with each other. While the retriever tries to be gentle and patient, I stick with hard grit and firmness.

    Sometimes I can get carried away, though. The only reason it happened with Fred was because a large number of furries were involved. I was worried about them getting hurt and what would happen because of it. Lex is at least there to coax me out when I go too far, and I'm there for him when the dial needs to be turned the other way.

    When I took Fred to the city, he acted more relaxed than our initial encounter. He seemed genuinely mystified by the city, and behaved like any other furry. I found it amusing, especially when he dozed off next to me at the park. It made me realize that not everyone is as strong as others. I gained a slight protectiveness towards the boy, just enough to worry about what the future holds for him.

Lex worries more than me, obviously, but I know the human world would be much kinder to Fred than ours.

~~*~~

C POV

I can't say I'm surprised that his time with us has run out. I knew it wouldn't last, but how long it took was certainly quick- at least for me. In total, Fred has spent about a month and a half in this world, and the fact that so much has happened in that short of a timespan is shocking. Still, it is best that he be sent back as soon as possible. Our worlds were separate before this, so it must stay that way.

Don't get me wrong, I like Fred a lot and I find him charming in a way. Putting that aside, his arival has started a shockwave throughout furries everywhere. Social media sites are still booming about him even after his reappearance. If the humans found out about us and tried to find a way to find us...

    The results would be catastrophic- for both. The subject of prejudice is a harsh truth, but it exists even in a society that's so integrated with differing cultures and lives. Of course there would be those who feel superiority over others, and that is natural in life. As much as I do want him to stay, he has parents who care about him in his world.

Still, that question lingers in my mind.