Chapter Six ~ The World Cup

That night could only be compared to the night before ones own execution. I hated the fact that my life hung in Viperous's hands, the hands of a girl that I considered to be one of my oldest friends. I still trusted her, somehow, I couldn't shake this trust.

I didn't know whether it was my own spite, or factual fear, but my mind kept racing over the snake that killed Viperous's father. It came the second she fell asleep, and left the moment she awoke. Surely, this was me being bitter? Inventing things in my head...

Please let me be bitter and inventing things in my head.

"Elle! Get up!" squawked an all-too-familiar voice in my ear.

I tried to strangle the groan that I emitted when the sound of Ginny's voice pierced my ears. Ginny was a wonderful, lovely, perfect human being, yet she repulsed me somehow. The thought of my fathers spirit trying to infest her probably did the trick.

Whenever I saw her, no matter how intelligent the conversation she upheld was, I still saw the troubled, naive girl who drowned her sorrows in that cursed diary. I did the same, I know, and that was just another thing that made me dislike Ginny.

She was so eerily similar to me.

Would she end up with strange powers she couldn't control? Would Ginny Weasley accidentally read minds, or murder elderly women? I hoped not, I wished against it. By keeping Ginny distanced from myself, I kept her protected from the beast within me.

"Okay, Gin! Let's go!" I said brightly, grasping the leather satchel filled with nearly every piece of my clothing.

A couple of charms go a long way for travelling gear, I thought as I carried the light-weight bag, that appeared to be only half full, by my side, whilst everybody else lugged heavy trunks and suitcases, with pots and pans clinging to every loose cord.

The morning was cold and crisp, and I was glad that I had shoved my arms through a sweater, and constricted my neck in a rainbow striped scarf. Viperous was but a few feet away from me, playing with Fred and George as she often did.

She didn't look like she had betrayed anybody, and she even flashed me some happy smiles, her eyes a blazing yellow. Every time she looked at me, I immediately ducked my face and stared intently at my necklace, which was a brewing purple.

"Ireland better win..." said somebody in the distance, their voice a mere soothing hum.

I couldn't concentrate on anything but forcing my feet in front of eachother in a walking motion, the guilt and the terror were both tearing me apart. Couldn't she do this quickly, rather than slowly torturing me? Clutching my wand tightly, I continued on in walking until we came to a halt.

In front of me, Mr Weasley was talking to a man of a similar age, with hair hanging below his ear-lobes, and spectacles hanging off of the tip of his nose. I frowned as I saw the tall young man beside, easily a head taller than his father.

Cedric Diggory.

I didn't even bother to listen to the conversation, I could tell by Arthur's uncomfortable facial expressions and Cedric's look of modest embarrassment that Cedric's father was bragging mindlessly, but I could only guess about what it was.

Ginny shot me a quick look that I intercepted as, "My word, this guy is a tool." Nodding in agreement, I stifled the first laugh that had crept up my throat in ages. Viperous gave me a look that can only be described as cheeky, before she burst out in laughter.

An anxious feeling crept through me as I realised that she was doing what I wished that I could do. Ginny soon joined in the laughter, then Fred and or George, and then finally myself. How could I refuse such an amusing past-time as laughing?