Chapter Twenty-Four ~ The Prophecy

"Www-" hummed a low sound in the distance.

Pain throbbed through my temples as I opened my eyes. Fluttering my eyelids, I felt gusts of wind slap my face with freezing air. The humming continued, forming in to more and more succinct sounds, until they finally shaped in to words.

"Wake up! We're going to land!" Neville yelled, his voice sliding through the thick air.

As my senses collected themselves, I saw that Neville's arm were wrapped tightly around me, preventing me from falling off of the thestral. In my sleep, it seems, I had held on tightly to the strange creature, as if I was subconsciously riding the creature.

Soon we dived so sharply that Neville's arms lurched forward to pin us both to the horse. Skidding to a halt, the creature gave it's shrieking whinny before practically bucking us off of it's back. Grasping Neville's shoulder, I steadied myself as my vision re-entered my mind.

"What did you see?" Nev whispered, stroking the loose strands of hair out of my eyes.

"I... We can't go today, we have to leave." I whispered, feeling urgent tears well up in the corner of my eyes.

A thick ball seemed to grow in my throat, because soon my dampened eyes were leaking and my mouth was letting out urgent sobs. The vision was awful... my own death, tonight. And what made it worse was the fact that it was someone I loved, someone most likely gathered before me.

"Elle, let's go." Neville whispered, edging towards the remaining thestrals.

My frantic eyes searched for our friends, who were now walking towards a telephone box. Burying my head in to Neville's shirt, I lingered for a few seconds. 'Come on,' he whispered, 'Let's leave.' I shook my head a fraction, standing still.

"We can't leave them. Harry's going to be outnumbered, he needs all the help he can get."

"But you could tell him about the danger!" Neville urged, grasping my hand tightly.

"If it was you or Viperous in danger like Sirius, I'd do the same as Harry." I murmured, hiding my face in the darkness provided by the lack of moonlight.

"But... I mean..." Nev murmured, trying to muster a good reply.

"All I saw was... was a battle. I was just upset." I lied, trying to force the most recent brutal images out of my head.

"Did you see anyone get hurt?"

I ignored this question and followed Luna to the telephone box, leaping inside just as the floor began to shift and transport us in to what could only be the Ministry of Magic. Harry whispered something, and soon we were all hurtling down the hallway of the Ministry.

Entering the golden lift, I was glad to see that the awful shuddering of the cage was masking my own quivering body. Neville looked at me sternly, obviously upset that I didn't explain my vision to him. I didn't want him to be upset though, not now. Grasping his hand, I smiled weakly and followed the group wordlessly through the winding halls.

I saw the little plaque reading 'Department of Mysteries' and felt a spine tingling shiver spread through my skin, awakening every pore, alerting every sense. Harry whispered something unintelligible up the front, forcing me to lean forward and listen.

"OK, listen... Maybe... maybe a couple of people should stay here- as a lookout?"

"And how're we going to let you know something's coming?" Ginny retorted.

"We're coming with you, Harry." Neville said firmly beside me.

"Let's get on with it..." Ron continued, nodding as us all.