Chapter Thirty ~ The Scar

"That is a nasty fever." Madam Pomfrey tutted, thrusting a potion down my throat.

The awful taste was necessary, I suppose. One day I'll get rid of those potions, my spells will be all that will be needed I thought to myself, a glow of joy spreading through me at the prospect of my future. I lay in my bed, trying to formulate some way to get through the day.

Uselessness is the worst feeling of all, but it could not be helped. As soon as Pomfrey turned her head, I flicked my wand at the bed beside my own, and saw the sheets inflate until a person appeared to be laying beneath them. A quick perception charm would keep her away from the bed for the day, hopefully.

Yanking a pair of battered sneakers on to my feet, I tip-toed out of the hospital wing to formulate my plan. Dumbledore had admitted that Death Eaters would enter Hogwarts next year, the least I could do was protect my classmates, and my revenge would come through peace amidst war.

Within in an hour I had revisited all blocked secret passage ways and cleared them, tunnels that not even Filch would use at the best of times, and walked through them to ensure that they were stable. I smiled mischievously as I decided to create my own tunnel, something that could come in handy later.

Opposite the Room of Requirement hung one of my favourite portraits, a painting of Merlin standing amidst his own clutter in one of his many labs. Locating the large portrait swiftly, I checked my watch to see that lunchtime approached. I coughed loudly to announce my presence.

"Ah-hah! The walking enigma! What spells have you to show me today?" he whispered excitedly through his glasses, bright green eyes beaming over a whiskery beard.

"Merlin, I have bad news." I whispered, launching in to an explanation of my predicament, struggling through tears to explain Dumbledore's... fate.

"My girl, why aren't you with him?" Merlin mumbled through furrowed brows.

"It's cruel, but I want to remember him as he was last night... By the fire with a glow in his eyes, is that wicked of me?" I admitted, thinking fondly of his face illuminated by the fire.

"No, no is not, my dear, in fact I quite understand." he nodded solemnly.

"So, you'll guard my portal?" I asked finally, breaking the brisk silence.

"If it will help Hogwarts, I will do anything." Merlin replied, running nervous fingers through his beard.

I was nervous too, never having ever created such a thing before. If things worked out the way that I wanted them to, I could walk through Merlin's portrait and exit through the archway leading in to Neville's garden. I was wary to admit that his medicinal herbs may be needed next year.

"Are you alright?" I asked hesitantly, knowing that if this went wrong I could destroy the entire painting.

"Do it for Dumbledore."

I nodded firmly, before bellowing, "HORTO!"

Ripples spread from the centre of the portrait, uplifting old oil strokes like a shivering lizard's scales. My eyes flickered shut as a bright light emanated from the portrait, blinding me as my spell comes to completion. Silence fell, and I opened a single eye.

"Magnificent!" Merlin gasped, turning to gaze out of the narrow window concealed in the corner of his room.

My gaze followed his gestures, until I saw it. Shining through the window, a window hardly bigger than my hand revealed a clear view of our garden. Tentatively, I reached my fingers outwards, sliding them against what should have been the painting, but having them merely slide through what felt like thin air.