Chapter Nineteen ~ Educational Decrees

I stared intently at the entrance to Kings Cross station in front of me. Viperous had already run ahead of me with Fred and George, and Sirius had said good-bye... and there was nothing preventing me from going inside except for what lay instore for me.

Sighing, I lugged my trunk up the stairs and planted all of my belongings on to a trolley. Leon sat inside of my cauldron, and Noctis's cage was on top of my trunk. All that was left was for me to start walking to Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

Muttering angrily at my self, I contemplated internally about my stupidity as I ran my way through the barrier dividing the platform from the station. The crowd was subsiding already, meaning that the train would leave at any moment now.

Throwing my bags in to the compartment on the side of the train, I ran inside and realised that I didn't have anywhere to sit, without facing Neville. He said alone inside his own compartment, valiantly defending any of the spare seats until I arrived.

He nodded solemnly at me, which wasn't a good sign, and I entered the compartment silently. Seating myself opposite him was harder than I imagined, seeing as right now all I wanted was a hug, and a long talk about anything but the letter.

"Nev, I-" I began, before I realised that I didn't have anything to say, he did.

"I got your letter." he said simply, his eyes hesitant.

"And?" I urged, leaning forward anxiously.

"And... I was mad."

He paused, giving me a second of excruiciating doubt.

"I was mad that you never told me, I was mad that I never guessed the truth... and, it's cruel, but I was mad that you were related to him." he replied, his face pained.

Dread filled my face, and sadness drenched my heart. Leaning back in to my seat, I turned my gaze to the now-shifting scenery outside... The station was far behind us now, and only Hogwarts and a year of fear lay ahead of me now.

"And then I got mad at myself because I forgot how wonderful you are, and how nothing can ruin you for me." he finished, his eyes watering with tears.

My breath froze in my lungs, as if my body had given up on breathing because I was so relieved. He... didn't hate me... The sheer happiness spread that spread through me hurled me in to his arms, sobbing with both relief and sadness. This meant that Neville was truly entwined in my life, which meant that he was in danger.

Soon, we were both a sobbing mess, curled up in what can only be described as a tight ball, hugging and being completely soppy. I don't know when he stopped crying, but by the end of the journey, I was curled up on Neville's lap, sobbing while he remained strong.

"Elle, it's time to go." said Neville softly, after the train had come to an uncomfortable halt.

"Right.. let's... uh- go." I said, sniffing away my very fresh tears.

Taking Neville's hand in my own, I walked slowly out of the train and joined him on a thestral-led coach, sitting opposite Luna Lovegood, and later Harry, Ron and Hermione. We made idle chatter, but Ron seemed absorbed with Hermione, and Harry was distant.

The entire time, I struggled to contain a full breath, and every time I attempted, the air would be shaky and leave too soon to satisfy my lungs. The anxiety surrounding Voldemort's rise once more was making me just about cut off the blood supply to Nev's hand as I squeezed it.

"It's okay... It's okay..." Neville whispered, making the air in my throat a little steadier.

Squeezing my eyes shut to avoid tears, I waited until the carriage landed before I could walk on the ground slowly towards the great hall. Ignoring Niamh and Paige's offers, I seated myself amidst the Gryffindor table, and began to ladle my plate with a few morsels of food.