{twelve}

MACUSA
PENTAGRAM OFFICE

A knock resounds from the top of the case and Newt pushes open the top. Newt emerges, followed by Jacob. Atlas stays at the bottom of the steps, storing her bag and wand under Newt's desk. She knew something bad was about to happen and she wasn't about to bring Nixie or Maeve into it.

"Scamander?" Atlas hears someone ask. Newt closes the case, "Oh - er - hello, Minister." Atlas nearly faints. She was going to get her job taken from her for sure.

"Theseus Scamander? The war hero?" she hears someone else ask. "No, this is his little brother," she hears the Minister speak. "And what in the name of Merlin are you doing in New York?"

"I came to buy an Appaloosa Puffskein, sir," came Newt's reply.

"Right. What are you really doing here?"

"Goldstein - and who is this?" Madam Picquery asks.

"This is Jacob Kowalski, Madam, he's a No-Maj who got bitten by one of Mr. Scamander's creatures. Newt's eyes follow the image of Senator Shaw's body floating around the room.

"Merlin's beard."

"You know which of your creatures was responsible, Mr. Scamander?" another Minister asks. Atlas peaks out of the case and gasps loudly. "Who's that?" Madam Picquery's voice is sharp. Atlas pulls herself out the case, "Atlas Willow, at your service, ma'am, and no creature did that. Don't pretend that it was a creature. You must know, even I know. Look at the marks!"

Her answer causes a small bit of chaos. "She's right," Newt speaks up. "That was an Obscurus."

"You go too far, Mr. Scamander, Ms. Willow. There is no Obscurial in America. Impound that case, Graves!" Atlas watches as Graves summons the case. She nearly screams when she remembers that her wand and bag are going along with it.

"No!""Give that b-" Newt and Atlas are cut off when Madam Picquery shouts, "Arrest them!"

Spells are shot towards the four, who are slammed to their knees. Their wands fly from their person and into Graves' hand.

"No - no - don't hurt those creatures - please, you don't understand - nothing in there is dangerous, nothing!" Newt's voice breaks.

"We'll be the judges of that!" Madam Picquery exclaims. "Take them to the cells!"

The Aurors pull them from the room, Newt putting up a fight and so does Atlas. "Don't hurt those creatures - there is nothing in there that is dangerous. Please don't hurt my creatures - they are not dangerous. Please, they are not dangerous!"

The last thing that's heard from Atlas before the doors close is her heart-wrenchingly scream, "Maeve!"

-----

who's maeve you ask? well, you won't find out until the next chapter.