{seventeen}

DEPARTMENT STORE
OUTSIDE

Atlas stumbles away from the group, rubbing her hands together. Jacob moves toward the shop windows, staring at a handbag that seemed to move if it's own accord. The other four move behind him as the bag hovers in midair and floats off into the store. "Dougal?" Atlas whispers to Newt, pulling her jacket closer. Newt doesn't say anything, but the affirmative nod lets her confirm her suspicions. 

DEPARTMENT STORE
INSIDE

The store's Christmas decorations partially distracted Atlas from the task at hand, which probably meant that whoever put them up did their job and did it well. The group tiptoes through the store, hiding behind a large plastic display, Newt pulling Atlas close to his chest. "So Demiguises are fundamentally peaceful, but they can give a nasty nip if provoked," he whispers, his breath hitting her ear. The Demiguise appears, clambering over a display to reach what seemed like a box of sweets. He nudges Jacob and Queenie, "You two, head that way." They start moving before Newt stops them with a piece of advice. "Try very hard not to be predictable." The two exchange perplexed glances before moving away. 

A roar can be heard in the distance. 

"Was that the Demiguise?" Tina asks, prompting Atlas to breathe in and out heavily through her nose. Have these people seriously never studied a thing about magical creatures?

"No," Newt replies. "I think it might be the reason that the Demiguise is here." Tina follows the pair as they swiftly move down the aisle and toward the Demiguise. He stops before turning around and looking at Newt quizzically. He swiftly moves up a set of stairs and Newt smiles at him. They move toward the set of stairs, following the creature. 

THE DEPARTMENT STORE
ATTIC

Atlas looks around at the boxes that were stacked up on shelves, teacups, dinner services, and general kitchenware poking out from the tops. She watches as the Demiguise walks along the attic and into where the moonlight poked through. He glances around and then pours the goods onto the floor. "Its sight operates on probability, so it can foresee the most likely immediate future," Newt whispers from behind her, making her jump. He moves slowly, creeping up behind Dougal. "So what's it doing now?" Tina asks.

"It's babysitting," Atlas whispers back, allowing Newt to focus on the task at hand. She watches as Dougal offers up a sweet to whatever was hidden in the shadows. "What did you just say-?"

"This is my fault," Newt whispers back this time, still calm despite his situation. "I thought I had them all - but I must have miscounted." 

Jacob and Queenie enter from behind Tina quietly as Newt continues moving forward. He stops and kneels next to Dougal. He carefully places his case down. Atlas scooches a bit closer to the scene, still hiding behind a shelf. She gasps as the new angle allows her to see the Occamy in the shadows. "It was babysitting that?" Tina hisses to which Atlas makes shushing sounds. Newt remains still as the Occamy moves closer to him. "Occamies are choranaptyxic. So they grow - to fill - available - space." The Occamy cranes its head toward Newt as Newt offers up a hand. "Mummy's here."

Dougal's eye's flash blue and Atlas gasps but moves away from the bookshelf. Queenie moves a bit, accidentally kicking a Christmas ornament. Newt shouts out in surprise as the Occamy rears up and screeches a horrible screech. 

Jacob and Queenie move back to find cover as Newt is launched into the air by the thrashing Occamy. "Right, we need an insect, and kind of insect - and a teapot! Find a teapot!"

Atlas and Tina launch into action. Tina dives toward the floor, following an insect while Atlas shoves her hand into her bag. "I don't have a teapot, but I do have a flask with a rubber stopper!" Atlas shouts while moving to avoid the Occamy. "Great!" Newt shouts. "Put the insect in the flask!"

Atlas runs over to Tina the best she can and Tina throws the insect and by chance, it lands in the flask. The Occamy jumps into the air after the insect, shrinking as it changes to fit in the space of the flask. Atlas pushes the stopper over it, not too tight so air could still get through. Atlas lets out a sigh of relief, falling to her knees with her hair falling in front of her face. "Choranaptyxic," Newt pants from his place on the floor. "They also shrink to fit the available space."

"Tell me the truth," Tina comments from her place on the floor. "Was that everything that came out of the case?"

"That's everything - and that's the truth."

-----

okay, there's about 163 pages left in the book and a majority of it won't be in it due to atlas not being present. after i finish this, i plan to do another - different - book. keep your eye out for the poll that'll hold ideas for that on my twitter (ReaChase_wp). as far as an updated updating schedule goes, updates will most likely happen on wednesdays and fridays for this book.