{twenty}

SUBWAY

"Do you really think we can save Credence? He's not too far gone?" Atlas questions, trailing slightly behind Newt as the pair try to track the Obscurus down. Newt stops for a moment before twirling around to look into Atlas's eyes. "We have to save him," determination sparks in his eyes before it's overtaken by a shadow. "I can't let the same thing happen again. He doesn't deserve it." Atlas stays silent after that. She had seen herself in Newt for a split second. She had seen herself when she had decided the same thing for her daughter. To keep Maeve away from her father because no matter how many times he begged for her forgiveness she would never give. Maeve didn't deserve the abuse either.

Newt and Atlas reach the tunnel that the swirling Obscurus took up residence for the time being. Newt pushes Atlas behind a pillar, hiding himself behind one opposite. "Credence," Newt starts. "It's Credence, isn't it? I'm here to help you, Credence. I'm - We're not here to hurt you." Atlas perks up when she hears footsteps echoing down the tunnel. Newt moves out from behind the pillar as Atlas does the same, back against Newt's as a precaution. She spares a glance over her shoulder and observes Credence in the center of the mass, curled up and scared. She grabs Newt's free hand and prepares herself mentally for a fight between them and the approaching Aurors.

"I've met someone just like you, Credence. A girl-a young girl who'd been imprisoned, she had been locked away and she'd been punished for her magic," Newt spoke calmly, squeezing Atlas's hand for reassurance. Slowly, the Obscurus melts away and Atlas turns just in time to see the frightened child. Credence looks to Newt with hope glimmering in his eyes. "Credence, can I come over to you? Can I come over?"

Newt slowly crept forward, his hand falling from Atlas's. When Atlas turns back, a bright light blazes forward. She quickly tries to perform the shield charm but is a second too late and is thrown over Newt and Credence's heads. She hits the tracks and let's out a groan of pain before rolling over onto her side. Credence runs past her as Newt stands to fight Graves. Atlas drags herself up and attempts to chase after Credence, eye widening as she sees the approaching train. She hurls herself forward and as her body connect's with his, they Disapparate.

SUBWAY

Graves shoots spell after spell at Newt as he fires spells back, slower than his opponent. Anyhow, Graves was ruthless in his attack. Atlas and Credence stand a bit behind Newt, Atlas props herself against the stone wall while trying to massage away the pain. Atlas watches as Graves, seemingly bored with the duel, blows Newt back and onto the tracks. He lands heavily on his back as Graves continues his relentless attacks.

"Protego!" Atlas shouts rather weakly from her spot, but the charm still casts a shield over Newt. She pushes Credence back into the shield, making sure he was safe. Newt lays on the ground, unmoving, as Atlas listens to Credence's sobs. She takes Newt's place in the duel, doubling her efforts. He was a healer, a healer and protector for magical creatures, Atlas was a trained Auror. She brandishes her wand and ejaculates, "Stupefy! Reducto! Slugulus Eructo!"

Graves jumps to the side, missing the curse by a hair. He narrows his eyes at the barely-standing woman, "You're really going to try to stop me by making me vomit slugs?"

"Why not?" Atlas quips. "It might have ended up preventing you from hexing or cursing me real bad."

"That wouldn't stop me," a cold smirk slides into Graves's stone expression. A red jet of energy shoots out at her, catching her and engulfing her in a reddish glow. She screams in pain, knowing the effects of the Cruciatus curse very well. Tears welled in her eyes and ran down her face as she drops to her knees, still screaming. The pain stops and she falls sideways onto the ground, body shaking with pain. She gasps for air as she sees a pair feet approach her. She hears the faint calling of her name and lays there. Numbness took over her body and all sound turned muffled, her eyesight blurred before she succumbed to enticing darkness.

-----
Okay, I swore to myself that I would try to hit 800 and I did come close to it with a whole 761 words total (not including this small tidbit.