10. Coming Out

A/N Just saying, i didn't really make it clear but the school year has almost ended now for the two, they're soon graduating, that's why Zoe gave Ruby the promise ring! Sorry :D This chapter continues on from "Shopping", they're still shopping :P!

We got into the cafe and ordered a coffee for Ruby and hot chocolate for me, we sat down when I got a text.

Unknown Number

Stay away from Ruby - The message wasn't signed and I didn't have the contact of the person.

I brushed it off as we sat down on a small sofa style seating with a table against the wall. As we started to sip our drinks i got another text.

Mum <3

Hello dear, i'm going to a coffee shop in the shopping centre near our house, would you like me to pick up a coffee for you? 

Reply

I'm shopping with Ruby right now so no thanks, we already have drinks, we're about to go home soon.

"Ruby, not to alarm you but my mum is here right now" I panicked, she placed her hand on my shoulder, 

"Don't worry baby,"

"I don't want to see her, she has been lecturing me recently about how gay people are bad"

"You need to tell her, i don't want to sound mean or pushy or anything, but you need to baby!" She kissed my cheek as i saw my mother approaching the coffee shop, "You know her best, if anything backfires, I'm here. Always!"

"Hey girls, how are you today Ruby?" My mum asked, glaring at Ruby's short hair and tattoos. 

"Great thank you Ma'am, how are you?" Ruby replied, trying to sound polite to my mum, I know how much mum hates Ruby, she's not the perfect person described in the Bible, she has tattoos, short boyish hair and is gay, well, my mum... doesn't... know that though.

"Call me Lisa!" My mother said smiling as Ruby nodded.

"Mum, can i tell you something?" 

"Tell me at home dear, do you too want a lift, or are you..." she faded out speech, Ruby spoke out.

"Yeah, Zoe will be coming back home with me!" Mother had a questioned look on her face, "we have an assignment." Ruby swiftly added.

"You two are spending a lot of time together." My mum stated as she walked closer to me and Ruby.

"Mum, i need to let you know...that...uhm...i'm a lesbian, Ruby is my girlfriend." I said the last part quickly so she may not have heard it.

"What are you talking about, that is not funny." 

"It's not a joke," I held onto Ruby's hand and she started to pull me towards her.

"You're moving out, tonight, collect your things from mine and your fathers house and leave." She started to walk away, when Ruby let go of my hand, running up to my mum and tapping her on the shoulder.

"She's your daughter. You can't do this to her!" Ruby said trying to reason, tears building up in my eyes.

"I can do anything i choose, she is a disgrace if that is the way she's turned out, and you're worse, tricking me daughter into being gay, sinning. No one will ever love you, you're disgusting." 

My mum swiftly left the shops as Ruby limped back to me, holding back tears in her eyes. I let go as tears poured down my face, Ruby wrapping her arms around me.
"I'm sorry baby." She whispered into my ear, holding me closer to her.